Hardware removal from hand

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I have a question, I will be thankful if you help me.I had surgery on my small finger a month ago and the doctor put plates and screws to fix it. I am constantly thinking about hardware removal because I have heard titanium may increase the risk of cancer. Is it true? I am so obsessed with it.

Also, my other question is: Is it harder for surgeons to remove hardware 30 years from now compared to 1 year from now? I have read that over time the bone may grow around the hardware and sometimes surgeons cannot remove it! If it is a case I do the surgery next year rather than 30 years later! Has this ever happened to any surgeon (not being able to remove hardware)?

I appreciate any help.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

There is no scientific evidence of cancer in humans from titanium dioxide. The EU authorities have underlined in the classification that the suspected hazard could occur if dust – like titanium dioxide powder – is inhaled in extremely high concentrations over a long period of time.

I have had a new hip with no cement so the body naturally grows round the titanium stem and people have revision surgery for hips so you should be OK for your finger. Mind you in 30 years time we will be totally rebuilt with stem cells and all 21 again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.