Hardware removal surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there,

I had ORIF on my ankle 6 months ago (Bimalleolar Fracture), 7 screws and one plate.

I dont have any major issues no pain, and not much swelling (as I have a 9-5 office job so I dont really move much). However I do feel the difference in stiffness - I was advised to take out the hardware now so i can recover quicker and won't cause any issues in the long term. I am booked in to take this out next month.

Is there anyone out there that has been in the same situation, and if you can let me know the recovery time, pain etc. My surgeon tells me as it is taking the hardware out that recovery time is only max 1 week and I will be back on my feet as per normal.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hello Paris

I had ORIF in March and removal of 2 large screws in June. Your surgeon is correct: it is not a big operation and recovery is quick. As soon as I came round after general aneasthetic I was able to walk and there was very little pain. I definitely noticed that there was less stiffness. The only drawback for me was that I was advised not to drive for 3 weeks!

All the best.

• Posted

so you basically were ok to do your normal walking (eg work, shops etc) the day after??

• Posted

my surgeon explain to me that if the hardware isn't causing any problems its best to leave the hardware in place . i still have good range of motion, no pain and back to normal activities from trimalloar surgery and dislocation. i guess every surgeon and individual is different

• Posted

My ortho-surgeon said that the hardware stays unless there is a problem. I knew someone that had it removed, and it took more than a week's recovery too..

Missy

• Posted

i had a plate and 6 screws in my ankle. Feb 1st 2018 the plate and 5 screws were taken out. I immediately felt the relief! I was in a walking boot for approximately one week while the incision was healing. After my surgery my tendon bothered me quite a bit so they had given me a steroid shot which alleviated the pain. I still have one screw on the inside of my ankle that he will not remove due to fear of permanent nerve damage. I wish I could have gotten this last pin taken out.

• Posted

Hey. Did the pain from your tendon cause swelling? My tendon hurts a lot but the wont give me the shot. what else can I do?

• Posted

you couldn't see the swelling but they could see some on the ultrasound under the tendon. He also is willing in 6 months to give me another one if needed. It has really helped. The only other advice is to soak in epsom salts and hot water. good luck!

• Posted

Hi, my recovery has been a long one but I am doing much better. Thank you! I hope you are recovering as well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.