Hardware troubles.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Good evening all.

I had a screw placed into my medial malleolus in my left ankle just over a year ago.

I was wondering if anyone on here has had similar surgery and had hardware problems?

I have had numerous problems with what seems like my hardware since surgery. If I point my toes down or lift my toes or any general twisting or moving my the ankle, I get a sharp shooting pain where my hardware is, constant throbbing in that area, And it is always hard to walk or even stand on my left ankle specially in that area.

Any advice or or words of.wisodm appreciated!

Thanks all.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was told that if the hardware starts causing problems, it’s time for it to go. As long as your ankle is healed. I’m having a screw taken out on Monday due to the pain it is causing me. But I was also told pain is normal for a while.

So talk to your doctor. See if he wants to remove the hardware or not. From what I was told it’s a screw that causes pain and it simple to remove and your pain is lowered about four or so days after removal.

• Posted

Hi.

I have two long screws in the same place as you and 2 plates with screws in other parts of my ankle . I too have problems with the metal from time to time. I can't have my metal removed due to the condition of my bones. I know they can be removed but haven't heard the outcome of any. I would speak with your doctor or the surgeon. I can't stand or walk for long due to pain but that's in my ankle as well, as my ankle was shattered and won't ever be the same. Good luck 🙂👍

• Posted

Hey guys.

Sorry to hear about the problems both of you are having with your ankles.

When I got surgery I was told that my screw was permanent. I notified my surgeon at my 8 week checkup after surgery that I had pain, but said my bone was healed and there was nothing he could do to help me.

I might have to talk to doctor or surgeon about removing my screw.

Thanks for your advice!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.