Harm OCD

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ok so a few months ago i believe i suffered with someone called harm OCD. I had terrible thoughts and images that play in my head all day, everyday. Nothing seems to make these thoughts go away. I was happy and fine for a little bit but now I’m having a relapse of this all again. My mind feels evil, i feel like a bad person that doesn’t deserve anything. For some reason these violent thoughts are always more towards my mom and i don’t know why. At this point i don’t know what to do anymore and i can’t go through this again for another couple months. It takes over my life. If anyone has been through this and got better please comment down below or messsage me privately. I really need someone to relate to. 

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

This is where your mind is going when you are seriously stressed, i was always told that a thoughty is not a naughty, the big question is, how does your body and mind react when these thoughts occur? If they horrify you and send you into a panic, thats a good thing, you would never truly act on your thoughts. Try the shock distraction method. keep a hair bobble or elastic band  around your wrist (comfortably) and when the thoughts start, snap it against your skin, so your literally snapping yourself out of it. I was given this advice by a health professional. The thing is to nip it in the bud and stop your mind wondering down the wrong path almost immediately, as it releases all the wrong chemicals into your body and its just a horrible place to end up, start to look for the things that will make you happy even just on a simple scale like a pretty garden, or a piece of music. 

• Posted

Hi Emma, did you suffer from this too? Did you one day just get better and the thoughts went away? I dont know what to do anymore, it takes over my life and i can never just escape from the thoughts. What worked for you?
    • Posted

Hi Nicole, it depends on what the situation is at the time, alot of things can play against you like poor sleep, sun deprivation (very common in scotland) poor diet, work stress, money stress and the people who surround you. Things started to get better when i spoke to a health professional, they helped me understand that my mind would go down this route when overwhelmed, depressed or stressed. I didnt feel like a monster anymore and i learned to control how i approach situations, think and react to them. 

I also learned whe to take a step back and look at my emotions and problems from a different angle. It helps to talk and your doing the right thing. Am here if you need me xx

p.s sorry for the late response, 

• Posted

Hi Nicole

I had never heard of harm OCD until I saw your post.

It fits in with how I feel much of the time.

I am getting better because one day I went to see my GP Nd told her about my OCD/self harm and now I feel better by talking about how I feel

• Posted

Hi Ian,

I'm glad I could help! Have your thoughts gotten better since? 

• Posted

Hi Nicole

I start with self hath thoughts when I get stressed so I have a elastic band on my wrist and give it a twang and it really helps.

In the past I ended up with septicemia and I did it to myself.

I'm not proud of that I nearly died

• Posted

Hi Nicole, this has happened to me too. I was diagnosed with pure O ocd. It's a form of OCD where you obsessive over certain thoughts. In my case, it was also violent thoughts. I used to be stuck on the thought of killing myself, harming others, etc. I never actually wanted to do any of those things. I became so scared of my own thoughts. The one thing I can recommend is do NOT try to not think of the bad thoughts. It is better to think of them and accept them, just acknowledge that they are only thoughts they do not make you a bad person. If you try to not think about it, you will automatically think of it more. Another thing I recommend is to try to keep as busy as possible and focus on other stuff. For me, eventually the thought would pass. Hope this helps <3

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.