has 10mg of citlopram worked for anyone

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been on 10mgs of cit for 6 weeks, having some good days but also bad. I've been feeling really insecure in my marriage and having intrusive thoughts. Doctor wanted to up my dose to 20mg but I'm scared of the side effects. I just wanted to know has 10mgs worked for anyone else.  Your replies are really appreciated x

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I started straight on 20mg and recovered from years of depression on that.  I did reduce mine eventually to 10mg but that was after I'd taken 20mg for many years and found I could maintain my well being on 10mg.

Could you not increase to 15mg for a while first and then to 20mg?  

• Posted

Thanks for replying Kate,  I'm just so nervous of the side effects, I'm not sure how much my family can take with me being so miserable.  I do have some good days on 10mgs.  I was on cit 10mgs before and came of them in may they worked fine for me and I don't remember having any side effects. But this time I've had side effects. Do you think 6 weeks might still be early? 
    • Posted

Oh bless you.  Not only do we have to struggle with depression, but often we have to cope with family and friends wanting us to get better quick too.  People don't understand that depression is an illness just like any other illness, and needs time to heal.  We can't just step out of it.

Im sure if 10mg worked for you before, they should work again.  Like you I was on this medication for years then came off a year ago.  I was fine but restarted in August due to the stress of family illness and didn't want to get I'll again - boy did I get side effects this time.  I do to think I noticed them too much first time around as I had very bad depression, so the side effects were pretty much what I was suffering anyway.  

6 weeks might still be early.  My first time round it was 3-4 months for me, though this time I felt the benefits around 2 months.  Maybe give it some time.  I always find the winter months I feel lower anyway.

x

• Posted

Sorry for the typos
  • Posted

Hello Dotty....I was on citalopram 10mg for 8weeks then increased to 20mg I didn't have any side effects. I was on cit 20mg for two years and really wanted to get off for the best...Lower my tablets on 10mg and after three months stoped taking it completely it's been now 3 months and it's been great I have got amazing therapist doing exercise and eat much better don't drink or smoke my life has change...Don't give up stay strong u will get over it!!!!Be always positive smile and be happy!!!!
    • Posted

Hi denisa thanks for replying.  It's great to hear you had no side effects, I think I'll give it a couple of more weeks to see how I get on. You're so right about smiling I'm doing my very best x
  • Posted

Hi Dotty, I'm on 6 weeks today of 10mg.  Same as you some good days and some bad days.  My problem is that my partner has told me he is leaving me but is still living in the house with me.  We live like a normal couple apart from when I get upset as I don't understand why he wants to leave me.  This situation is what caused me to go on the medication.

it looks like he will be leaving in 2 weeks time, not sure how bad it will get then as I don't want him to go.

im struggling to know if the mess are making a difference with all what's going on with my partner :-(

Emma x

• Posted

Emma I really feel for you. That is my worst fear, driving my husband away with my illness. Hopefully this medication starts to work for you so you can find strength to deal with your situation, please message me any time.  Hope things work out for you x
    • Posted

I was first ill way back in 1979, married a year after which didn't survive when the tough got going.  I was ill throughout our marriage and eventually he left, leaving me devastated.  I wasn't on SSRI's then as they weren't around but was on other a I depressants.  My view now is that he couldn't have loved me as didn't support me 'through sickness and health'.  I later met and married my present husband and he's supported me through thick and thin, and I eventually recovered on these meds.  It'll be our 27th wedding anniversary this year smile

This is often a lonely illness, as people simply don't understand what it's like to suffer.  I'd rather have lost my right arm or similar, than to have had depression, but having had the experience it's made me a stronger person.

Oh... and my ex husband went on to marry 2 more times.  Obviously not a loving soul.

• Posted

going for tough ...... silly me
    • Posted

oh for heavens sake, typos!!  Tough GOT going.  Seriously confused
    • Posted

Thanks for sharing Kate, I'm glad things are looking up for you. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. X
  • Posted

Hi Dotty

I started on 10mg but went to 20mg after 6 weeks and had no side effects at all!

Good luck :-)

• Posted

I started on 10 mg a day then went to 10 mg twice a day and that made the difference.  It did take a few weeks to build up and make a difference though x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.