Has an SSRI or other type of medication changed your life?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was interested to know people's experience with medication, as I just recieved some medication for social anxiety/depression from the doctor a week ago. I'm hoping these can help me go towards the right direction and was wondering what you guys would think? 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Be sure  to see a behavioral therapist whilst on the meication.hey are not a cure but can help you short term whilst you learn more about anxiety and how to cope with it. At the very least learn cbt off an audiobook.
    • Posted

Well lets say if the medication cured me while I was 'on' it. I wouldn't mine living my life on it, I'd rather that than be my old depressed self. I'm genetically like this, as my Father had anxiety issues and my Grandfather who died a alcoholic because of it. I've had consuling but it hasn't helped at all. So I thought if im 'genetically' like this medication would be the good way to go. 
    • Posted

Absolutely true. And benzoes feel like a mirqcle but simehow the body grows accustomed to them and then you need to raise the dosage and eventually you cant use them. So they add on another type. Some domwork for a really long time but they all dont last this doesnt count if we are talking abiut depressiin, im talking a iut anxiety and panic attacks. Depression is a different thing and felt to be chemical imbalance so if you are going on it for depression ignore what i said. But still learn cbt. Im unfamiliar with depression.
    • Posted

terrible typos. Some meds do work for many years, but at some point they all dont work anymore. Thats with the meds they have in use at this time.there is no lifetime of being on them. But again i am unfamiliar with depression and the science behind it and i would never tell a person not to use medicine if they need it.
    • Posted

I appreciate the advise I really do. Social anxiety is my main problem, it is a high reason in why i'm depressed. Some SSRI's can give relief for Social Anxiety, so i'm hoping it will work. I'm on Zoloft right now. 
    • Posted

Yeah fair enough, I'm in very bad circumstances right now, so maybe having a couple of years with SSRI's might get me in the right circumstances where i won't need it smile 
  • Posted

Just be careful with antidepressant, they didn't work for me, they can be ok short term, CBT is the only way forward, it just takes a bit of work, take care
    • Posted

Thanks Elizabeth, but i'm suprised people keep saying that Anti depressants are short term, because i've been reading forums of people's expeirences with Ssri's for a very long time and some people have been on them for years, some even decades. 
    • Posted

they do not work long tern for panic attacks and anxiety. Maybe thats the confusion. Depression is different and although the new doctors clumo them together now they are different in their core. Its just after oanicking enough some people get so beaten down they get depressed. The meds are the same for the most part. But with anxiety only half the people even get relief off medicines. Two different things. So i spologize if there was any confusion there. Either way learning cbt would be important .
    • Posted

Yeah i'm actually trying to get CBT now, but it takes a long process to get to it. I'm hoping to have the combination of both CBT and medication 
  • Posted

Having an anxiety problem of course it causes depression, but I came across this therapy on line , it was a doctor who suffered from anxiety himself,  if your young you can beat this,

its about changing the neutral  pathways in your brain, it's about repitition,  

reprogrammin, 

• Posted

I wouldn't say it has changed my life, but they help to tolerate it. I've had various combinations of things over the last 5-10 years. I also studied pharmacy at university. Don't be afraid of this sort of medication. There's a lot of rubbish written about the 'bad' effects of it. The truth is that they are there to help you cope, so that you can identify and work on the root cause. Not a miracle cure, but not something to fear and mistrust.
  • Posted

Hi, lewis...Yes, yes, and yes....Antidepressants saved my life.  I am now 68, but the peak of my anxiety/depression was age 32 when I was suacidal.  I finally went to a great physicatrist who put me on Luvox and Cymbalta, along with Xanax.  It has worked like a charm for over 30 yrs.  Oh, I still get depressed and anxious once in a while, but doesn't everyone...Please ask you doctor what is right for you, and if it doesn't help within a month...try another brand...They are lifesavers, and I will be on them for the rest of my life, but I'm blessed to have them...God bless..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.