Has any one tried Chiropractors or CS??

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

I have CS for the past 4 years. It started with lower back pain moving to neck, shoulders, upper arms. I have done 30 - 40 Physio sessions - NHS and private. NHS did not helped at all hence i went to do private treatment. Met a Rhuematologist who confirmed it's a CS and recommended one of their physio therapists. I have tried various therapies in Physio such as traction, heat therapy, accupuncture, japanese tape, vibration therapy, streching bands, etc... it did helped a bit and finally they recommended some streching exrecises to continue at home. After sometime the pain was back. Recently, I saw an advert in the newspaper for a Chiropractor in Surbiton. I had my 1st consultation with them where they took X-ray and did general body check and they found out that my spin is tilted a bit on the left and they will help in allignment of the spine. If there are any pinched nerves or bulging of disc or anything else that will be solved and have recommened a 12 weeks treatment spreaded in 6 months. They do manupulation and also use shock therapy. I also did 1st treatment with them on Saturday and was badly sored for that day. 

Just wondered if anyone has ever used Chiropractors in the past. 

I would appreciate if anyone could share their experience with me.

Thank you,

Kamiya

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dear Kamlya,

Poor you.  That sounds like a horrific session ... especially given that you would have had the pain of payment on top of the extended bodily discomfort.  

I, myself, had been warned off going to chiropractors - I'm in the UK too by the bye - by several consultants and so - given the law of their averages - have always followed that advice.

If you do follow this particular course of action it would be wonderful if at some point you might let us know if the outcome proved beneficial for you.

All best wishes.  

• Posted

Yes I have tried treatment with a chiropractor and found the it did help but only for a very short period of time. I had 6 sessions but at the end was just back where I started with painful neck and shoulder.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi. I too have had treatment sessions with a chiropractor. Had quite a few sessions but the pain soon returned again after. I hope it works for you and you find some relief.

Let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi all,

thank you for sharing your experience... Sounds like it's going to be a similar sessions like Physio where the pain does come back after a while :-(

I will give it go... and let you know how i feel may be after 4-5 session.

Thanks again,

Kamiya

• Posted

I've gone to chiropractors for years and years, so I can't count the number of sessions I've had.  Got a bad whiplash injury in '79 at age 19 that was the beginning of my neck problems.  For me, chiropractic care helped a lot.  In 1996, a 2nd car accident caused a 2nd whiplash (and in both cases, other errant drivers hit me - I am not a bad driver.)  Months of therapy followed, including private PT, deep tissue massage and 3X weekly chiropractic.  Did it help - Yes, definitely.

But at age 54, I find that there's not a lot a chiro visit can do for my neck.  For my back, yes, it can definitely help if my back is out at T3 or T5, or in my lumbar region.  In fact, for back pain, I have a nice inversion table at my home that I use, as it is quite effective.

Right now, I do accupuncture and home therapies including: hot tub or heating pad, percussion massager, special pillows and mattresses, muscle relaxers and magnesium supplements, and Chinese herbal remedies.  Also, I take Tramadol (Ultram) or Hydrocodone for the pain when it gets to be too much.   I normally take 1/2 a prescription muscle relaxer (Tizanidine to be exact) along with a magnesium supplement (250 or 400 mg gel cap) before bed to help keep the spasm down.  Less spasm at night means better sleep and less pain the next day, but it doesnt always work and if it's 3 am and I cant sleep I take a sleeping pill.  Lately, the magnesium supplements have helped me reduce the sleeping pill to 2-3 per week.

The bottom line is that there is no magic bullet.  Some days I wake up and I feel like the Tin Man, and other days, its even worse and I wonder if I can bear it, but then I can work with the therapies I have found and feel better the next day, and actually be able to do yard work or home repairs, which I like to do.  I feel almost normal.

C.S. is a tricky disease with a gloomy progression, so I would suggest that you try anything that can work to see if it will work.  I dont do chiropractic now because my neck is a wreck from C7 to C2 and my X-rays were Stage 4 DGD a few years ago, so my neck is constantly out of alignment and I would have to go 3X per week to really accomplish anything.  But, I do know it works, and if you are not as far along as me in the progression, then you might want to try it.

For example, after the 2nd car accident, I had a bulging disc at C5-C6 and constant facial twinge pains and spasm and was barely able to work at my job as an engineer.  I had to take muscle relaxers (robaxin) during the day to keep the spasm from being unbearable, and I contemplated suicide to stop the pain.  The combination of deep tissue massage and chiropractic care got me past that, and that was 19 years ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.