Has anybody beaten severe anxiety without medication??

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone has ever overcome anxiety without medication?? I ask this is because I suffer really bad with anxiety panick attacks I won't go out I won't drive and I'm petrified of takin medication reason being is because as a child I used to suffer with epilepsy so I'm so scared incase I take medication and it causes sezuire again I don't know why I think his but it's proper scary so I'm wondering if I could do this without medication???

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

There are many who choose to use therapy rather than meds, and not too surprisingly those people tend to do better long term than those who only concentrate on meds. it does depends of course on the cause of the anxiety, but generally thats the case
    • Posted

Thankyou I have just started therapy I'm there for the second time next week how don't know how many sessions you have before it's beneficial

• Posted

everyone is different, some respond well to short term, others require it for a long time. theres not really any way to know until your doing it. sometimes it takes a few short bursts - hopefully your therapist will be able to guide you on that one
  • Posted

I think, in my case, anxiety was controlled by Sertraline and it does ease those moments.  Hope you find something that helpssmile

• Posted

You could, but you would need some kind of ttherapy I think, to help you to understand why you're so anxious all the time. Most people do both - I mean they take medication and have therapy.

As a reassurance, almost all of the anti-anxiety meds are sometimes used to control epilepsy, so you need have no fear of seizures - anti-anxiety meds are a treatment for seizures. Well, a great many of them are. Has your doctor suggested a particular medication?

• Posted

You can try it, it can be controlled in some instances by thought and activity diversion.

You can also try and desensitise yourself in small bits.

If you are frightened to go outside try opening the door and walk outside leaving the door open with key in. Keep progressing eventually you will reach the situation where you are in the garden or in your driveway etc, just increasing activity that concerns.

I do not know what causes your concerns all I have heard is to desensitise yourself slow but sure

Always around

BOB

• Posted

Managed yes, "beaten"  no. Setbacks happen and you have to be very willing to be open minded and change who you are in many ways. But yes it can be managed without medications, you can try to see an alternative doctor to see what ideas they have as well. You have to learn self calmg tool and skills and really know what an anxiety disorder is so you are prepared to handle it better. A good therapist and self calming skills can aid in managing it.

Agoraphobia might require medicne though. Thats more of a complication of an anxiety disorder/ocd/depression thing 

i believe the goal is to attain a functional life and maybe at some point you want that more then living in fear and feeding into all your anxiety rules. They have done nothing but drag you further and further into a hole of despair and panic attacks. Sometimes you need medicine too to calm the body enough so you can absorb the therapy and break free from the agoraphobia. .

• Posted

How old are you Kirsty? I have suffered from this disorder for 41 years. I didn't start taking meds until I was in my forties. Their are so much new stuff out there today , so I am sure you will get some good ideals. You have to be proactive in your own care. Have you seen a Dr? If not that is the first thing you need to do. Just for your Peace of mind if anything. I became agouraphobia in my forties and that is the only reason I sought out Phychiatrist and did go the med route. It's could your here to because it helps to know your not alone and you will be talking to people who get you! I used things like , when going out to grocery store etc. I looked for escape route, I also looked where I could hide. My fear was losing control and everybody watching me! I had a big scary senario built up in my head. But you know what? That worked for me. Sunglasses to would calm me! Sounds silly but worked. I understand your seizure scare but there is an anxiety drug called klonopin , that is also subscribed for seizures as well. So don't be afraid to ask your Dr . About klonopin. It's great! And calms you and it gave my life back. Go to Phychiatrist because they are trained for this stuff. They see it everyday! To tell you the truth I never got anywhere with a GP except med phobic! Check it out honey , it's worth it and it can get you back on the track of living! Read good books about this disorder! Our fight or flight mechanism if off! We all have it but ours goes off for no reason! I also take Celexa for depression. Because 9 out of ten times , the anxiety has caused us to be depressed too. Good luck honey and keep talking! Try visualization too ! Meditation etc. light candles and chill🙏💜💜💜

• Posted

Good and prescribed 😜😜 My thing was feeling trapped , like in a grocery store line. So I had that planned out too! If I had to leave my groceries do be it! I would tell them I'm pregnant and have morning sickness and leave or I forgot my wallet and leave! Don't worry about what they think , just take care of you!!

• Posted

Thankyou Harley for the response helps a lot I might see my dr about the medication then Is it addictive?? I'm 26 and already a agrophobia I crnt even take my children to school that's how bad I am at the minute I don't know what to do for the best,,I'm just petrified of taking medication it's a big fear but I kno I'm at my witsend with anxiety don't think it can get any worse if I'm going to be honest but replys like these really help tho x

• Posted

Klonopin (clonazepam) is very highly addictive. It is a benzodiazepine, all of which are highly addictive - more addictive than heroin.

Benzos include xanax, valium, temazepam, oxazepam, lorazepam (ativan) ............. the list goes on and on. Don't touch them!

• Posted

Thankyou tess I don't want something addictive I have 3 small children to look after its bad enough I have never touch drugs or drank alcohol so taking medication that's addictive is a no go lol what is the best medication to take then like I mean what seems to work and isn't addictive? X

• Posted

The SSRI anti-depressants such as prozac, effexor and so on. You do have to taper off them when you're better but you don't crave them.

That might be worth discussing with your doctor.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.