Has anybody else suffered from quite severe mood swings?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Has anybody else suffered from quite severe mood swings?

I have always suffered from very heavy, very unpredictable long and very painful periods, but over the last 4 months things just got ridiculous I was bleeding once a fortnight in the usual way, then went back to a normalish cycle except I bled for over 3 weeks! I went to see the doctor and she prescribed Norithsterone to stop the bleeding so she could examine me to see what is going on.

I am a fairly level headed woman and not prone to emotional outbursts and temper tantrums, but since I started taking them I can honestly say I don't know my A%*e from my elbow. I have fallen out with my mum for no good reason, argued with my boyfriend over nothing, and yesterday I just sat and cried all day and consequently my face, today, looks like a sundried tomato!

[i:afdca53253]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:afdca53253]

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have just finished a course (3 weeks) of Norehisterone and have suffered the exact symptoms you mentioned.

I questioned my sanity, feeling I must have suddenly become schizophrenic. I felt terrible rage and could have easily hit someone.

These feelings would come on very quickly and then pass just as quickly. Leaving me wondering what on earth was going on.

Needless to say this is not my normal state of mind and I have become my usual self now that the medication is over.

Maybe it's not a common side effect of this drug, but I feel it should be mentioned on the side effects list.

• Posted

I am on a form of combined HRT and when I get two days into the norehisterone acetate tabs I am really depressed and irritable, very impatient and prone to red rage, and could fight with anyone. And often have done.

When I go back on the estrogen only tabs, I am sweetness itself. So I spend this period making up with people.

This pattern has repeated for the last three months since I started taking it. I'm heading back to the doc's for a chat.

Real Jekyll and Hyde Stuff.

• Posted

I have been taking Norethisterone for about three months now and have noticed mood sings - so have my family! Last week I said something to a dear friend that I shouldn't have which was really out of character for me and we haven't spoken since. I am plucking up the courage to ring her to wish her Merry Christmas.

I have been taking these pills because of heavy bleeding and while I've been on them have not had a period which has been great but have really noticed my emotions have gone a bit haywire. Also I've put on half a stone in weight and I look as if I'm pregnant my stomach is so bloated. Is there anyone else with the same problems ?

• Posted

I have been taking these tablets for tender breasts which usually start 2 weeks before my period. Unlike most of the comments, my period is very regular, albeit very heavy for 2 days and usually only lasts 4 days.

I have noticed recently that the breast tenderness is not subsiding while taking the tablets and my PMT or mood swings are incredible 2 weeks before my period!!

I feel like my hormones are totally messed up and am due to see the doc this week to discuss an alternative to the tablets.

• Posted

i have been taking these tblets for 3months now i look eight months pregnant, bloated, get painin my left arm and slight pain in heart feel tingly am stopping taking them from tday go back to transmenic acid tablets till i have my hysterectomy sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.