Has anybody experienced a stabbing pain when trying to do bending exercises after a total knee replacement?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a total knee replacement 3 weeks ago and after 2 weeks the intense pain subsided and I can now control the pain relatively easily. My problem arises with the exercises! I can straighten , am fairly mobile, can walk albeit with a bit of a limp but find bending beyond about 85/90 degrees excruciating. I can describe as a pain akin to being stabbed although I've never been stabbed. My physio tells me I need to push through the pain which I understand as have done so on many occasions in the past but this, I feel is different otherwise why can't I do what it seems is a normal expectation. So I went to the GP for a pain management chat. When I mentioned the stabbing pain and a burning pain sometime during the night he was concerned enough to perscribe medication for nerve damage as they do cut through the nerve. I've been on this new meds for 2 days and am beginning to feel more confident as I think I am bending beyond 90 degrees already. I'm hopeful this is the answer as I really want to do it right. My question is, has anyone else experienced the same problem after knee replacement?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I have and sometimes they do injure a nerve or something close to the nerve that swells and puts pressure on the nerve.  Nerves take a long time to heal.  Mine was better after about 3 months.  It didn't hurt all the time just in certain positions like yours.  Be patient and keep at it.  Since the meds seem to be helping I would say you are well on your way!!
    • Posted

Thanks Jane. It's nice to know that someone knows what I'm talking about. The nerve meds seem to have helped already after 5 days and today at physio I'm proud to say I went to 105 degrees. So yes I do believe I am on the way to recovery. But it's a worry at first when you feel that you are not achieving as you are being told you should and you can't understand why! And as everyone says it is an extremely painful op. Glad to hear that you are recovered. Cheers.
  • Posted

so pleasing to hear others too have a pain prob , im now 9 weeks post opp ,i had a bend of 120 ,very pleasing i thought , but the last week ive had pain all the time , i talked to the doctor and he said that it was due to the nerves ,its getting worse every day ,things like getting out of the car , and if i have to step over something my knee just will not bend without pain , the last week its been painful to walk ,ive keept up with my exercises , even going up stairs that was no problem at all ,now is so plainful sad
  • Posted

Debbie I'm so sorry to hear that you are still experiencing pain for two reasons. One for your pain and two, for what I may be in for. I am only four weeks and feel as if I am doing well. Yesterday I was prob mostly on my feet for about 8 hours and yes I overdid it and last night and today I have had to take stronger pain meds not only for the knee but the general leg. Lesson learnt! Your nerve pain is a bother! My GP prescribed a meds called "  Lyrica " and if you google it you will see it is definitely for nerve trauma. Whether its in my head or not I don't know but I feel that in the week that I have been taking it, the stabbing pain which we put down to nerve trauma, has lessened and given me the confidence to do more. I hope you improve soon because unknown pain is very worrying and debilitating.
  • Posted

One other thing Debbie, each time I' ve been to physio, thrice, she has do e a sudden push in my bend which has increased it by 5degrees and it is quite pain ful when she does. Afterwards for about 3 days I am unable to do any exercise because it is too painful. By day 4 I m able to do a bit before I go to physio again and show some improvement. Is it possible that somehow you have been pushed too far , too fast, and that is causing the pain? Are u sill resign it raising and icing it? 
  • Posted

that is resting it raising and icing. smile
    • Posted

thanks , ive been to physo today and explained the pain , a second physo came to look and he knew what i was on about , he felt behind my knee and found the spot , its due to having my knee bent for a long time that the ligerment at the back is now shorter than it was ,and now i have a full streetch , the pain is the ligerment streetching back to what it was before surgery , i have been shown what to do and you have to have a slight twist to it ( some thing i was told not to do too much ) . now i know this i can understand and work at it , but dont worry you may not have this problem as most people dont , ill keep my fingers crossed for you , thanks for your help x

• Posted

Great. Yes they emphasise the importance of stretching in conjunction with bending and my physio did make me twist slightly outward whilst doing the stretch/straighten exercise. She didn't say why but I guess that is the reason. Good luck!
    • Posted

thanks ,gloria ,thats what i have now been told ,a slight twist ,just wish they had told me that in the first place ,oh well we both learned some thing new smile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.