Has anybody had LONG TERM success with the HALO (otherwise known as THD) procedure?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have at least 1 grade 3 hem that prolapses every BM (maybe more inside idk) despite 99% of the time having 0 straining thanks to daily Metamucil and water.

I tried OTC stuff, prescription stuff from a general practitioner, 3 rubber band litigations, nothing has worked.

I went to see a surgeon for a consult and he suggested getting the THD procedure, which after I researched when I got home found out is basically the same thing as the HALO procedure. He said because I'm in my early 30's that the THD/HALO procedure would have less risk.

What I'm worried about is this procedure not being a permanent fix. I know the traditional hemorrhoidectomy is not a guarantee for a permanent fix either. But from my research it seems that a hemorrhoidectomy has a higher chance of being a permanent fix from patients who have had the surgery and from some surgeons who have told patients that the traditional hemorrhoidectomy is the permanent solution.

I reluctantly agreed to get the THD surgery in the middle of February during my consult yesterday but in the back of my mind I have this nagging feeling that I'm making a mistake and that the hems are going to just come back as bad as they are now.

I WANT TO BE DONE WITH THESE THINGS FOR GOOD AND GO THROUGH THE INTENSE POST SURGERY PAIN JUST ONCE!!!!

I realize most people don't come onto these sites years after their surgery if it was succesful but I'll give it a shot anyways - Has anybody had LONG TERM success after getting the THD/HALO surgery for grade 3 or grade 4 hemorrhoids?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Feeling the exact same way, mid 30's had the HAL-RAR procedure done about 7 weeks ago and I am not sure if it worked. No bleeding so far but whenever I have a BM, there's still swelling and then it goes away after sometime, I am not really sure what to expect but I am worried.

• Edited

I too am still young and so was advised that Halo-RAR carried less risk of incontinence, stenosis, infection etc. I too worry if it will be successful. I am 4 weeks post surgery and still swollen. I think we have to trust what we see here guys. There really is no-one coming back writing saying "don't have the procedure, mine came back in 5 years, 10 years etc". Certainly no more than with traditional open removal surgery anyway. This operation has been around for about 17 years now from what I can tell and is the preferred surgical treatment in the UK by surgeons because it is less barbaric. Get an experienced colorectal surgeon's advice and trust they advised you towards Halo-RAR/THD for good reason.

• Posted

hi

from what i can gather HALO Rar is less invasive and less painful than surgical removal

i had a friend who recommended i get the surgery who has had it twice five years apart.

i think he let his diet slip life takes over !

haemorrhoid tissue is present regardless of removing your existing problem

everyone has it ,

as far as i know even with surgical removal you could still have problems in the future

my surgeon told me that he could perform this operation multiple times with no danger to the patient.

Sadly if you are suffering with a prolapsed haemorrhoid then you need yo do something a bit more drastic

the recovery is not pleasant but you will get through it.

good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.