has anybody with bad menopause symptoms also had hyperemesis (severe preg sickness?)

Posted , 30 users are following.

hi,

i am just trying to see if there is a connection?

i seem to be reacting strongly to changes to my hormones, as i did when pregnant (both time severe hyperemesis...)

i am only 36 (i have 2 little girls 3&6 years old), recently experiencing irregular cycles with spotting, pelvic pain, back pain, anxiety, dry skin & hair, dry eyes, sleeping bad, ...all sorts of symptoms, you name it.

went to various doctors, no one could find anything so far so i am assuming it's the hormones again!​ never had problems with pms or anything though.

read a few studies on hyperemesis, it was recently found that some got better after taking progesterone. some also think it's an overactive immune system reacting to excess levels of hormones in early pregnancy, especially estrogen. it hasn't really been established what causes hyperemesis...

i have quite a few allergies and there are autoimmune diseases in my family.

i am just curious?

ps: so happy to have found this forum!!writing from germany (so pls excuse my language), but have spent 5 years living & working in London, really missing the UK!

5 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

I had hyperemesis gravidarum when I was pregnant decades ago . I was sick from two weeks after I found out I was pregnant until I turned 3 months, after third trimester it disappeared and I felt great rest of pregnancy, I've been going through Perimenopause since I turned 47, first mild changes like periods closer and low iron and waking up from nocturnal panic attacks around a hormone cycle like period or ovulation. Things really started when I turned 50 and started getting night flushes. Then at 52 I had a bad and rare daytime hotflash, it made me feel like I had the flu and it went away after 5 minutes. 6 month later I woke up feeling like when I was pregnant, nausea so extreme but nothing would come out, then once more, again striking at night. After that one other nausea occassion and the nothing. Fast forward to 54 years old (now) and I found your question as I lay in bed baffled how I was just hit with this again but this time it stayed for almost four hours tonight. It actually felt worse than pregnancy time and maybe because It brought a tummy ache with it and night flushes that drenched me, and extreme hot-ness. So to answer your question, I had that severe pregnancy nausea and had it in perimenopause. I haven't stopped yet with periods but they have stretched out so my doctor said I'm at the end. I don't care one bit what Doctors think because I lived this severe nausea during pregnancy where I was bedbound for three months and was bedbound tonight when it struck again it is debilitating. and I believe 100 percent that it is caused by hormones. Don't despair about going through menopause, these feelings come and go and have a way of giving us a break during the ups and downs and although tonight scared me enough to google if others had this, I'm surviving and you will too. I think we are just a little more sensitive than others to hormone changes. Everyone's bodys handle it differently.

• Posted

I had severe HG with all 3 of my pregnancies and to my surprise a similar nightmare has returned.

What has everyone found for relief? I don't want to hop around from doctor to doctor with no answers. I just don't want to be nauseous, I want to eat, drink and continue with life as normal as possible.

Any advice, tips, recommendations would be helpful.

Sign me- Desperate and Thankful!

• Posted

YES! I'm 53 its been exactly a year with no period. I was just diagnosed with High Blood Pressure. My doctor was curious back in 1995 if I'd have issues in menopause after having two pregnancies with severe hyperemesis. Not sure what the cause is but would love to know how to fix it.

• Posted

I had severe HG, was hospitalized with both pregnancies, medicated for the duration of my pregnancies and put on bed rest. During perimenopause ( started at 43, now 47) I have had headaches, foggy head, and hot flashes. I am 6 months with out my period right now (hoping the final stretch) and am questioning the connection as well since my symptoms have become much worse. The night sweats and the fogginess have become worse. What has now alarmed me is that I have become extremely exhausted and nauseous. I said to me husband it is becoming overwhelming which is what lead me here. I thought I was going crazy when I had HG and thought I was the only one. I am starting to feel that crazy alone feeling I felt with my first pregnancy. Finding this post makes me feel better and scares the heck out of me that this will get worse. You are not alone.

• Posted

So glad to read this! This makes me feel not so alone- I had hyperemisis with my twin pregnancy - they are now 19- I am 47 and it has been HELL_ - Severe burning in chest- my "hot flashes" last hours- radiating from my chest, down my arms, up my neck and back and it is painful and boiling hot. I am also having tachycardia now, low blood pressure so I am always dizzy, deep brain fog- I just started the estradiol patch a week ago and no relief yet- Been to so many drs- ob/gyn, neurologist, ENT, waiting on Endocrinologist - I feel like there must be a link for terrible HG and now perimenopause!! Anyone have any answers yet or solutions??

• Posted

Hi everyone,

So glad to have found this as i have felt that I am losing my mind this past year. I am 42 years old and for the last 13 months I have not been able to work due to my symptoms. Extreme fatigue, brain fog, dizziness, anxiety, nausea, unable to concentrate and mood swings to name a few.

I had severe HG and was hospitalised numerous times during all 3 pregnancies. The GP referred me urgently to Neurology and I had an MRI which was clear. I have also seen a Gynaecologist, Psychiatrist and Psychologist. Nothing physical was found and antidepressants had no effect.

After a suggestion by a friend that it could be perimenopause, the GP agreed to carry out a hormone profile, which I am awaiting the results from. But it got me thinking if there could be a link with HG as I know my body does react badly to hormone changes.

They started me on vagifem, vaginal pessaries, which have already helped with dryness and my leaky bladder (did not even realise this could be caused by low oestrogen levels). Hoping for news next week that I can start on HRT patches.

• Edited

Hi Susanne,

I was lucky enough to not throw up much when pregnant, but I did have nausea the entire 9 months, and raging reflux the entire time.

And here approaching menopause, I have told my husband a million times how similar this is to when I was pregnant.

I have the symptoms you describe... anxiety, sleep issues, body aches, digestive issues... it's a nightmare.

I see this post is several months old now... if you're still around, pop in and update us on how things are going.

51 years old with a teenage daughter, and having just a few very spotty periods a year now. I can say that I do feel almost normal in between spotting episodes, so there is light and hope!

Blessings to you,

Sara

• Posted

hi Susanne,

I had the hyperemesis with both pregnancies my children are now 5 & 8 I suffered with dry eyes in my second pregnancy & always suffered with acne since i was 25 im 38 now & last year was diagnosed with pmdd which makes sense as ive always had anxiety the severe sickness & tracked all my pmdd symptoms to day about 18 every month so the pattern & symptoms confimed pmdd so im on the waiting list for a full hysterectomy as hormones have given me my beautiful kids but also make my life a living hell & its annoying not much can help but most certainly think your symptoms are hormone related.

maybe see if your gp might think the combination pill or hrt may help not sure if mines the change in hormone levels or the progesterone that im sensitive to but had ovary surpression injections for 4 months & used oestrogen hrt gel & was saw a huge improvement. Its crazy to think what hormones can do to us but they do make babies so they are very powerful!

i had years of managing the dry eyes then it just went! goodluck xx

• Edited

I had severe HG during both of my pregnancies. I am now 42 and suffer from stomach trouble with digestion, gas and now nausea, which gets worse around the time of my period. I also suffered from CHS (cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome) caused by marijuana. I quit smoking marijuana years ago which resolved the problem.. I've recently had an endoscopy, an ultrasound of my stomach organs and am scheduled to receive a HIDA scan next week. I take Omprezole for GERD as well. I was taking birth control until about 6 months ago because it was giving me bad headaches. The pain and nausea got worse when I quit taking birth control. I just saw my gynecologist and she recommended that I eat only easy foods when i know my period is coming. Some medications that help me with nausea is Benedryl and/or Dramamine (original formula.) Both medicines make you drowsy so be careful. I have dealt with so my stomach pain and nausea in my life, I hope and pray that I don't have to deal with this for very long if it is peri menopausal. If these over the counter remedies helps

anyone let me know please. ~Courtney

• Posted

I also believe the extreme menopause effects i am experiencing are related to the severe HG I had during my 2 pregnancies (i was at my lowest weight as an adult during botb pregancies due to not being able to eat, constant vomiting, which led to hospitalization, so stopped working for about 4 months during both pregnancies.

i also always had irregular periods throughout my life. I could not take birth control pills -made me nauseous and vomited. Periods stopped abruptly at 48 years old. and it felt like my body was falling apart - sudden random issues i had never experienced in my life - weight gain, hot flushes (worst), overheating, cant sleep, fogginess, tiredness, sudden random pain requiring visits to my GP but nothing found to be the root cause.g shooting pain leg, lower back, upper back, tinnitus, headaches (never used to get these), palpitations (thought i was having a stroke) etc. there was a 6 month period where i was constantly at the doctors with bizarre complaints that led to nothing and eventually self resolved.

WHAT seems to be helping me-=cut out sugar and unnecessary carbs, eat more protein (homemade lentil soup is now a staple and black rice, vegetables, grapefruits etc), drink lots of ginger and water (hot or cold), walking - 15km in total a week. despite all of the above I haven't really lost the weight i gained but at I do at least feel somewhat better (moments of being energetic and having clarity (no fogginess) and have not had sudden pain on any parts of my body and for now I have not gained any more weight = stable weight. but am still to master how to deal with the hot flushes. any advice welcome.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.