Has anyone added an ssri to mirt - was it successful?

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi - im on 30mgs of mirtazapine for 6 weeks and its not had any real affect on my depression and anxiety, though it has helped my sleep greatly. im thinking of adding in an ssri - such as escitalopram to see if i see a better result, scared to mix my meds up though as ssris tend to give me bad side effects - has anyone done this with success? were the side effects less than using an ssri alone? all advice greatly apprecitated . to

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

i wouldnt advise taking mirt just for sleep! for years i was on it with citalopram they are horrendous to get off xx

• Posted

Hello, i was on Sertaline 200mg for 16 years symptom free and 100% back to normal and loving life. They pooped out September last year and pysch recommened adding Mirtazipine as they have a good track record in combination to address AD resistant anxiety and depression. After a rollercoaster ride of dosage trial and error, i am currently on 30mg Mirt before bed and 75mg Sert in morning and starting to feel almost back to normal. Again, this combination has saved my life....i was feeling suicidal at xmas. I have also done CBT, online and 1-2-1 counselling, exercise, diet, meditation but unfortunately only the meds make me better again. So i have nothing but good things to say about combining MIRT with an SSRI. My only advice is don't be in a rush to make changes to doesage. Everyone metabolises these meds differently and we are all unique. Good luck with your recovery. Life is so precious...

• Posted

Hi!

I was on Mirtazapine for 14 years and I've now been off it for 22 months and am still going through horrendous w/d's from it. I was taking it for sleep and didn't realize I was in tolerance w/d long before I got off it. It is a horrendous drug both 2 b on and 2 get off. I was also taking Seroquel, Gabapentin and Zoplicone at the same time and had horrendous w/d's from all of them. I now believe I have been severely kindled by the totally uniformed doctors and medical profession who from my perspective know nothing about these poisons. I wouldn't add anything else in with the Mirt and I would get off it a.s.a.p. as there r many other ways to treat insomnia.

• Posted

yes i hear you, i dont like it, ive reduced down to 22.5mgs over the past week and will hope to be off it in a month, as its not working anyway, are you completley pill free now then?

• Posted

ive got off mirtazapine 3 times the first 2 were easy the last time was hell, im now coming off citalopram and its the worst experience of my life, over 10 months trying to get stable on a reduced dose, please try everything before taking these meds, i ended up on 3 at once and im learning the hard way xx

• Posted

thanks Toria, well ive tried 2 in the past 3 months and ive just ended up feeling awful so i think ill try going medication free, its so scary for me as ive been on meds for 20 years, but for the past 2/3 years ive jsut been feeling crap more often than good so i think its worth trying - i cant feel much worse! hope it all settles down for you soon x

• Posted

I presently take 30mg mirtazapine and 10mg escitalopram and feel the combination has been just OK not spectacular. Not a problem with the mix, sexual side effects are my major complaint.

• Posted

I take 45mg mirtazapine and 375mg venlafaxine. the combination work great together they have worked great for my depression I still have the odd bad day but that's to be expected. I started out on the mirtazapine and was on it for a good 6 month but it didn't help my depression it just helped with sleep which at the time was great because I was getting no more than 2 hours sleep a night due to servere anxiety. when they added the venlafaxine it started working on lifting my mood after about 8 week but I just wasn't back to myself so the slowly upped them... I was at my whits end thinking it wasn't going to work but thankfully at the highest dose it worked great for me. I would recommend the combo it saved my life!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.