Has anyone been able to claim dissability for meniers in Ontario

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been advised my employer to seek longterm dissabilty through my benefit plan. Do to having meniers and having to take sick time Iam now also being treated for major Depression. Iam doing ongoing counciling which is helping and as well been put on a antidepressant for severe depression. But, as everyone knows here...its a vicious circle and you never know when its going to hit you. Iam now diagnosed with bilateral meniers. I think this may be the cause of ongoing balance issues.

Would appreciate any advice or education if this is considered to be a dissability bc it sure feels like one.

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi I know it must be different here in the UK but might be useful for those who are.

    I have claimed for and obtained disability parking permit, and PIP Personal Indepenence Payment, and disability bus pass.

    It IS considered a disability, and my consultant has backed me up on this.


    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Thank you for your reply. I just wish that i didn't have this...it just feels as tho iam not in control of my own body bc iam not. I wear one hearing aid so far and my other ear has be noted to meniers to be bilateral do to the audiogram. I think this is where my balance issues became worse. I had to quite a great hobby which was singing in a group...fatigued all the time.. it caused alot of depression for me as it was something i have done for 20 years. I have had meniers since 2007..some episodes very bad and thats where my hearing was lost. Now for the past few years it has become balance issues which i have had to go on sick leave up to 3 months bc the constant undteadiness...subsides for awhile then boom there it is again. Very frustrated
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I have been of work since October , this illness is awlful , and I'm now being treated for depression and anxiety , which is a result of bppv and vestibular disfuntion , feeling down hearten tonight as I'm about to loose my job through this ,
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Hi Gilly,

      It is interesting to hear how you employer is treating you as mine was exactly the same.  I had been unwell for 6 months and they dismissed me under the  grounds of capability.  I am now 15 months into my VN with associated migraine but am now feeling some improvment (although very slow).  The sick absence procedure at my place of work stated that I was entitled to 6 months full pay and 6 months half pay and then in was at the managers descretion to keep me on or not.  Being told they they were dismissing me after only 6 months was a shock and certainly didn't help my recovery as this caused major stress.

      I am now drawing one of my private pensions as I am in my mid fifties so this helps but it means I am getting less than I would have if I had waited until my 60th.

      Anyway, I am now a house husband and enjoying it and like I said beginning to feel an improvment.

      Take care


      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I was off sick from my job for 1 year as a nurse and had no choice but to take "volantary termination of employment" after that. It wasnt a case of descrimination, but the fact I am unable to hold any type of job in the hospital.

    I would give anything to go back to work, feel normal again. I have forgotten what normal feels like now.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Marci, if you've had this for months or years and there is no indication that it's going to go away in the next year or so, you should be able to get ODSP. Your doctor has to back you up and you must have proof that you've been diagnosed and suffering for months and that it's not going to go away in the coming months. You and your doctor will need to fill some forms but it's likely that you will receive disability. 

    Also, I suggest that you take a look at your taxes. I believe if you have these issues, you could go back up to 10 years and claim some money from the government. I'm not sure what your story is (ie how long you've suffered, etc.) so I strongly advise that you also get in touch with whoever does your taxes and you could likely get a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. 

    I'm in Ontario and I went through this stuff which is why I hope you can get something out of all this. We've all suffered here and it's only fair to get some light in our lives, no matter how small. Best of luck with the health and with any applications.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up