Has anyone been diagnosed (post menopause) of thickening of the uterine lining?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, all.  I had an vaginal ultrasound last week and the results came back that there are thickened areas of my uterine lining.  My doctor wants to do a biopsy to rule out anything serious?  Is this common?  Has anyone else experienced this?  I am 57 y.o. and am approximately 3 years post menopausal.  I have taken no hrt.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Peggy

did they say what thickness your uterine wall was ..

i have a well woman ( extensive ) check annually where i live ( private) 

i am 22 months post meno No oral or patch HRT 

my uterine thickness was 3.1 mm and okay..... At last check..

just to give you an idea from another post meno non HRT natural peri / post meno lady .. I am aged 51 ..

hope all works out okay for you,,

i am due another well woman check in a few weeks so will be interested to see if mine has changed ..

Gyno last said it may get abit thinner yet..  As dries out so to speak..

been using ovestin vaginal ovules ( estriol the kindest estrogen)  just for the vaginal dryness i had been suffering with .. gyno said quite safe, dont enter blood stream and not oral going via liver etc ..

they have helped sooooo much and taken the dryness and itritation off the urethra too .. 

good luck hun, try not to worry .. 

jay x

• Posted

Yep,had this too. Had a biopsy taken under general anaesthetic, everything normal. Really easy op, back to work the next day. Gyno said there was nothing to worry about. Hope the same goes for you.
    • Posted

Debbie, thank you for your reply. Did you experience occassional pain which felt like menstrual cramps? Any bleeding? What were your symptoms that sent you to the doctor and then for an ultrasound?
    • Posted

I was having pre op screening for something else and there was a tiny trace of blood in my urine. No other symptoms. Was considered to be a post meno bleed and was sent for a scan. Think my uterus was 7mm. Doc tried to take a biopsy but couldnt, so was had the anaesthetic. She thought I had a polyp, but nothing was found. My friend has various symptoms and was found to have fibroids. Could you have the same? She isnt going to have surgery to remove them as was told they would subside post meno. 
  • Posted

Hello ladies i was wondering do they do a yearly test for this? I am 51 and into menopause as i have had both ovaries out as a precaution due to family history. I have had the uterine biopsys before but just wondered if we have to ask for this to be checked in future?
  • Posted

Hi Peggy. what you describe may indicate some oestrogen dominance. It's relatively common.  After the menopause the adrenals continue to stimulate oestrogen production while progesterone not so much. If you have that tendency (towards uterus lining thickening) your doc might consider prescribing you natural progesterone that is uterus protective. If you're in the US you've also got over the counterprogesterone creams. The biopsy is to detremine if there's anything else so you should do it. take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.