Has anyone been diagnosed with Hirschsprungs Disease as an Adult?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all,

As the title says, "Has anyone been diagnosed with Hirschsprungs Disease as an Adult? "

I'd be very keen to hear from anyone who has and how you were diagnosed with it as an adult.

Did a Doctor think you had it or did you think you had it?

I have been under Gastroenterology for 6 years (now late 40's), with chronic constipation - particularly Right sided faecal loading and slow transit.

I've had Bowel problems my entire life, but it all got significantly worse as I've got older.

My bowels, severe bloating , gut pain are taking over and ruining my life.

I'm on loads of laxatives, stool softeners, transit time tablets - they all barely keep things ticking over - what comes out is slop, I cannot 'push' it doesn't work/activate anything .

I have to do stomach massage a few times a day to move things around, and can feel the trapped wind and poo as i move it along.

My stomach swells over night and i look pregnant with the bloating.

i kept a food diary for nearly a year and discovered that i am intolerant to Oats, Seeds, fruit & veg peel, and anything containing Artificial sweetener (such as Aspartame and the like). i have to read all labels stringently as the effects are awful.

You would not believe the amount of medicines (especially, so called, 'Gut friendly ' medicines contain Sweeteners) they cause terrible problems.

I'm healthy, fit and active.

I drink around 3 litres of water a day (minimum) and don't drink much of anything else.

I'm sure to speak to my consultant next week, but I've lost faith in him (nice as he is) as nothing is changing or improving - only increasingly worsening.

can anyone help, please?

Thanks,

Annie

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.