Has anyone been dizzy on amatriptline

Posted , 6 users are following.

My daughter started this medication several weeks ago.  She started at 25mg then went to 50mg..  The day after she started 50mg she has been feeling dizzy.   She is taking this for anxiety and because of being dizzy.  Just wondering if other people have been dizzy on it and it has gone away over time.   Going to call doctor but just wanted some options.  Thank you.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I get dizzy from time to time...... but not sure if it is from this.  But now that you say this, I am wondering if that is why.
    • Posted

Just curious does it go away after a few minutes or does it last.  Thank you.

• Posted

I usually have it in spurts -- but when I do, it seems to last a couple days.  I was on 25 for a long time.  Then I went to 50.  But right now I am on 35.... more so because of the comments I read about weight gain.  I struggle with that, and now I am wondering if this med is part of the problem.  So I am doing 35, and will go back to 25.  I don't know if I want to come off it completely because I think it helps me sleep.  I mean, I still dont' sleep great, but I used to wake up and not be able to fall back asleep.  So since I take this, I still wake up (buts still don't sleep soundly really) but at least I am not awake for hours in the middle of the night.  It's so hard to know what to do with all these meds and all our issues we are trying to correct.  The meds might help one thing.... but then creates another issue.

• Posted

Yes amitriptoline can cause you to be dizzy, If I take more than 20mg my hands shake so I usually take 10mg. I would have a word with your GP.

• Posted

Hello Beth...I did get dizzy when I first started taking it...but not now. Hope things will settle down for your daughter...and get on an even keel. Hugs to you both...G
  • Posted

Hello AMITRYPTALINE has terrible side effects when one goes on them at first, after all they do control the brain & the brains many problems & unfortunately dizziness is one of the side effects, plus extra Anxiety as well. It takes about three weeks for the brain to  accept these very potent Tablets & there are alot of side effects going on them & coming off them.

In fact I personally would ask the GP for something better as AMITRPTALINE is a very strong & dangerous drug for someone young or old like me.

Rather ask for the HAPPY PILL ( PROZAC ) much healthier PLUS IS A VERY SAFE & GOOD DRUG.

• Posted

Yes I have heard that on this site. I am waiting to see my GP about changing from amitriptyline, to Prozac. My problem with amitriptyline is sweating, and bruising. So we'll see.  thanks

• Posted

I took Prozac many years ago.  It made my pinky finger on my right hand tremor uncontrollably.  Scared the hell out of me.  I stopped it. 

Let's just all remember this.... some meds affect some people some way, and some people not at all.  Hence, being allergic to some meds, while others are not.  So I don't think we can really generalize on all these different things that happen on all these meds.

• Posted

Hello Kimberly

Yes I was getting terrible sweating four or five times a day plus night sweAts where I would awake & my nightie & bedding was soaking wet HORRIBLE.

Plus the brusing was all over my body, it affected my blood & kidneys too much after being on the TABLETS FOR 38YEARS jackie x

• Posted

Hi Michelle , I agree wth you , not all meds suit us all, but, on here we just generalise & compare stories about the effects of Amitryptaline, what it did for me was I was on Amitrptaline for too long so, I am suffering the long term effects.

Prozac does not suit everybody but, it was  well known as the HAPPY PILL after Princess Diana & Fergie took it, hence it is right & wrong for some people, however, it was bad for you & good for me.

Kindest wishes Jackie x

• Posted

Hi Jackie.  I by no means meant any of what I wrote in a bad way.  I was just saying that sometimes what might happen to one, might not happen to another.  So it's hard to say what one feels from one med, will happen to someone else.  I was just kind of realizing that myself as I read all of these.  And I have been on amitript a long time as well.  So long, that I wouldn't even know how I would feel without it.  So I can't even tell if any of my issues are due to that, because I have other meds I take as well for other issues.  So how do you know, which one is doing what?  It makes it so hard to try to figure this all out.  

• Posted

Hello Michelle I am fully understanding in what you say as an individual & take nothing in a bad way, so, do not worry there, just like to communicate with people out there to see there reactions to certain drugs.

I did read officially though Amitryptaline can cause swelling of the Ankles & make the Patient build up water in there bodies, hence like me Kidney Disease.

Carry on writing Michelle it s interesting to hear what everyone has to say.

Jackie x

• Posted

I am just really noticing the sweating, and bad bruising. I have been on for 9 years. My doc will be back from maturity leave soon, and I will get a med change. Thanks so much for the info.
  • Posted

I have been on it for 8 years, and have never been dizzy. I also have suffered from major anxiety, and panic, an I am on Cynbalta, and amitriptyline. I also suffer from migraines, and a couple of times I have gotten dizzy from them, but  it was not from the amitriptyline. If this continues,get a hold of your doc,and see what they say.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.