Has anyone been off all meds for at least 7 to 10 years?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone been off the meds for RA for at least 7 to 10 years, from just diet and supplements, or your own medications, or because of going on cannabis? And are there any side effects from that?Or has RA come back?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there I don't take meds I am a firm believer in diet sleep exercise and keeping stress at bay, for me milk, grains and coffee make my RA painful but if I keep off these theee things I'm good! Sleep for me is a necessity I have a baby and broken sleep flares me ... how is your RA? I must add I've only has RA for 1.5 years so I can't comment on longer than this! Maybe one day I will need drugs but at the moment I keeping well away xx best of luck

• Posted

I have RA got 1.5 years too. But I hv been very discipline and taking my medicine coz my rheumy told me that if I stop my medication and fingers will be deformed . I wish somebody who have longer experience and who are off medication for a decade could tell me they are doing good. I wish all of you are coping well too
    • Posted

I know, right? In some sites I've read where some people have been off for awhile, but didn't say how long. I would like to know if someone has been off for a long time, and how they are Doing?

• Posted

I have had diagnosis less than 1 and half yrs with RA but I am pretty sure I have had it awhile before a diagnosis.  I also have crohn's --another autoimmune bowel disease

I resisted any medication for awhile but both doctors told me since I have bone erosions in both hands that if I didn't take a medication for RA that my hands would surely become deformed or as the doc put it--I would lose the use of my hands

I hate RX medications --I take a few supplements but I have been on MTX, humira--couldn't tolerate either and they didn't help the pain.  Fairly short time on Cimzia biologic injection.  Not even sure if it's working but no side effects.  

We all have to make these terrible choices and for me I felt like I must at least give this a try.  I am almost 70 though and have had a very good life --if I were younger maybe my choice would be somewhat different

I walk1 to  2 miles daily --or try to, go to yoga,  and try to eat a reasonably healthy diet but I am not very rigid about that as yet.  Tried water aerobics but I got awful leg cramps so decided to stop 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.