Has anyone been on Propranolol?

Posted , 5 users are following.

The doctor has prescribed me propranolol as he can see nothing physically wrong with me and thinks the tingles all over my body and pressure headaches are anxiety.

He has prescribed propranolol which I had never even heard of before today and is starting me on just one dose per day to try and 'break the cycle' of underlined stress/anxiety which he thinks is causing this.

Have any of you been on/are on propranolol and have you found it to be effective for anxiety issues?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It is a blood pressure medication that is used off label for social anxiety and anxiety and people who have a fear of heart symptoms from adrenaline. It alters the heart rythm and slows it down, it therby removes or lessons some of the anxiety symptoms, not the thoughts but the bodies reaction to it,

i tried beta blockers, for me it was toxic poison it grabbed my digestion receptors in on it and slowed it down too much. That was me. Some do fine. Many notice nothing. Meaning no side effects.  It will be weird the first week or two because it changes the rythm so you can feel altered or slower or strange. But thats what it is suppose to do slow it all down. 

I think dbt and therapy would be useful for you. Yoga is great as well. You need to learn to self calm unsure why doctors live pills so much but people really demand instant fixes. Think about options too. You cant just pop off these oills after a minth it will require weaning off. If you are using them inky as needed I would say give it a try. I think proponol allows you as needed but im not certain. It doesnt remove sadness or lonliness just saying.

it is a little scary that they are actually just grabbing whatever meds to rid symptoms in people. Its nit even your heart that has the issues. Your heart is simoly responding to the adrenaline. Its a cause and effect mechanism in place. 

• Posted

Sorry about the typos. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply! Yeah this is hopefully a temporary thing to help my muscles relax a bit, the problem I've had is really tense muscles and I've tried so many alternatives, I'm due to get physio but the NHS waiting times are so long sad These may help in the mean time hopefully, but I definitely don't want to stay on them long term!

• Posted

Hi,

I'm starting CBT and yoga and I'm hoping this will help with my anxiety x

• Posted

I've avoided prescribed drugs as I know they can be quite addictive. I've been taking Kalms herbal tablets recently and it's helped, so maybe try them before the 'hard' stuff

• Posted

I have just been on same one aday it did help i was on for 2 months just came off it today and it as helped a bit
  • Posted

i am taking this medicine for heart palpitations. Dr don't know the cause of palpitations as all related tests have come normal so they think its anxiety. in terms of reducing heart rate its very effective but for anxiety it has helped to some extent. i've started taking prozac which is anti depressant. its my 22nd day for propanalol and 3rd day for prozac.

• Posted

Propranolol helps turn my anxiety down to a bearable level, but it certainly doesn't switch it off. Really what we all need is a switch that turns off the anxiety ?

• Posted

I totally agree with you, there is no pill/drug that will cure it, we have to help ourselves too, physically and emotionally x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.