has anyone been prescribed Amitriptyline for Sciatica

Posted , 3 users are following.

hospital diagnosed Sciatica, how do they do that without an x-ray or a scan ??

Sent home with Netopam, side effects were not to be tolerated  (I'm an old Lady )G P prescribed Amytriptyline 10 mg.. and..Butec patches. quite frankly .I am afraid to start these meds ,as I live alone ,and concerned if bad side effects occur. has anyone been given this combination, and been O.K ???

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It is sciatica, but it’s caused by degeneration of the fastest joints. I have osteopia caused by Coeliac disease, I came off tramadol cold turkey and oh boy, was that tough, I couldn’t bear being doped up all the time, and the severe itching it caused. I take co-codomol for arthritis, and blood pressure medication, although I came off one of my blood pressure pills (the diuretic) as it was giving me low potassium levels, so I just take losartan for that now. (I’m getting that reviewed this afternoon as I’ve been taking bp readings this week in doctor’s advice, as it may be that causing my very weak muscles and exhaustion; my bp looks pretty normal right now (or it’s possibly the amitriptyline - still under investigation). I have type 2 diabetes and an under active thyroid (I try to have daily walks for my diabetes as I don’t take medication for that, just diet and exercise to keep my glucose readings down, which I’ve managed for about 12 years or more now; I’ve lost  count, with all the other things wrong with me). I am allergic to some herbs and supplements so I need to be very careful, I seem to have low thresholds for toxicity, I can’t even have caffeine or alcohol so it’s not quite as straight forward as that. 
    • Posted

That top bit should read ‘fascet joints’ - stupid autocorrect 🙄

• Posted

I don't mind if you can't spell ,my lap top does the same to me. I have no trouble stopping prescription drugs. 

i take the attitude that they are not good for me ,and that's it. Sciatica in my body is the nerve system ,worst area is my calf ,so I have taken to rubbing a gel used for pain ,which does work Big toe seems to like it as well. Herbs and vitamins really work for me, and ,,I have told my G.P that I take them .Some doctors do take on board that they can be useful . I have a shed load of incurables ,that are fed suitable vitamins.

tumeric seems to be the new kid on the block ,but I use it for cooking in lots of dishes already Strange things bodies, I often wonder where the "Can't tolerate "  comes from .Is your B 12 ok ? That is one thing I have to let my G.P help with,,  so have an injection every three months .I was getting tired . and my nails were in bits  Coffee is good , so is alcohol. but I have got out of the habit of drinking it.  I have a B.P monitor, and a stethascope, which is really .interesting to use. I listen to my colon chattering away Silence is not good      My diet ..wrong expression,, my eating habits are fairly normal , I stopped dithering over what I should and shouldn't eat.  Take care 

• Posted

think your understanding of Sciatica is incorrect .Pain is caused through the Sciatic nerve being trapped by the spinal bones and it's the rubbing of the nerve ,which causes it to en -flame  which usually runs down ,the length of one leg ,including buttock ,thigh, calf ,foot ,big toe On the pain scale ,,it's usually a  10   

• Posted

My understanding of sciatica is correct Jacqueline, as, because my facet joints have degenerated, the spine HAS trapped my sciatic nerve, which I have had since 2005 and has been proved by an MRI scan
    • Posted

You only mentioned your crumbling bones, with no mention of your Sciatic nerve.I have not had the advantage of any sort of scan to pinpoint the source of the pain Asking for help at my  hospital, is on a par with pushing treacle up hill.
  • Posted

I mentioned at the outset that I had sciatica, no explanation should be necessary. You can’t just ‘assume’ what someone’s understanding of something is, based on the limited information you have about them. 
  • Posted

P.S.  You need to ask your doctor to refer you to the hospital if you feel you need a scan.
  • Posted

Hi jacqueline consider this drug carefully, i have just got off 10 mg and it took 11 months as the withdrawal was horrendous. I had side effects from the drug when on it initially like  being very sleepy in a morning but these eased. Google golden paste which, is herbal and is for pain and inflammation, go to yoga but be careful with this very strong drug. x
    • Posted

Hi Amanda, how long were you taking it for? I’ve been on it for 12 years and take 30mg, struggling with bad side effects trying to get off it. 
    • Posted

morning Amanda,,,,, At last ..someone has told me what the drug is like I didn't actually take even one, until i heard from someone ,for that I thank you, In saying that ,the only prescription drugs i take, will be an antbiotic,and then not very often I use Vitamins and mineral alternatives, that work really well without any side effects  I am getting over Sciatica ,Doctor's answer wa ,as always, his  drugs, I have just discovered Tumeric, that  everyone is raving about. Bought it,, took it,, and the result was surprisingly true, i was taking Bromelain, which apparently is a good partner for Tumeric. I Googled it, Really good reports from all over the world  now I am on the last bit of sciatica. the bit that sits on the loo, but it goes within half an hour ,then no more pain until the next morning,   Once again thank you for coming back to me .That's what is good about these forums,   knowledge from people that have been there xxx

• Posted

Hi fiona i was on it for 2 years, but 11 months of this time was on a reducing regime x
    • Posted

Hi Amanda,

It just shows how bad this drug is. I’ve tried to get off this after being on it for 12 years and the withdrawal has been horrendous and that’s with only reducing it to 25mg; so much so that I’ve had to increase it again to 30 mg (I was previously on 40mg). The last doctor I saw told me ‘it’s a horrible drug, but it is useful in reducing nerve pain’. I wish I’d never been prescribed it and had I known this at the outset, I would never have taken it.

Eleven months is a long time to have withdrawal symptoms. I hope you’re alright now. x

• Posted

Hi Fiona , i was reducing from 10 mg to 0 for 11 months. i experienced withdrawal symptoms many many times during these 11 months. I am off it now and still having occasional abdominal cramps and anxiety but, its getting better. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.