has anyone been put on 40mg's..?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi. have been on 20mg of citalopram for 3 1/2 wks now. still very anxious and tense neck and headaches..so not really feeling better. dissapionted really. so, rang doc today, he sai up it to 40mg's..and see how it goes for another week..otherwise he'll change to another. has anyone else been put on 40..if so did you feel different from the 20..and did it work?

thankyou for reading this because the headaches are getting me down..need to sort this..

many thanks aly xx

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Aly

I'm sorry your aren't feeling any better. I was first prescribed 20mg and then had it upped to 30mg and after a short while I did feel better so perhaps the same will happen to you going from 30 - 40mg I hope so.

Take care

Nicky x

• Posted

I take 40mg and have done for about 12 months now, once you have started taking citalapram whatever dose you should not get more side effects the higher you go in dose providing you go up in 10 or 20mg increases. starting taking 10 then increasing up is because you could not possibly go from nothing to 40mg it,s the same when we eventally are able to come off them we will have to come down in unnoticable by your body doses. The side effects were the same for me no better no worse through all the different doses so don't worry about taking 40mg xx
  • Posted

thankyou so much both. yup, i will try the 40mg..and hope this helps.

thankyou for your words of encouragement

hope you too are both well

love aly x

• Posted

Yes, I have been on 40 mg Cipramil for 8 months. Started on 20mg for 4 weeks. I am male, and have no trouble becoming aroused with my partner. She is very understanding, thankfully, because even though I can maintain an erection, I cannot ejaculate. I have suffered many side-effects from other medication, but this is the only one I am aware of with Cipramil. I have discussed this with my partner and she is prepared to accept my decision to stay on this medication which was prescribed for major depression. I hope one day to be able to get off it and stay off it. It has helped me with my depression. Before I took it I was unable to make a decision, would stare into the fridge and wonder what I opened the door for, could not sleep at night, could not stay awake in the afternoon, could see no reason to perpetuate the daily grind, began drinking too much ... I was losing it. I am now holding a responsible management position and am clawing my life back. Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Breezman

How long did it take for you to start sleeping again?

I am all confused - am I not sleeping because of anxiety or am I suffering anxiety because I am not sleeping.

I just want to sleep again.

I went to the doctors because I wasn't sleeping, she asked if I had any othger symptoms, I mentioned the aches and pains. She then asked if anything in my life was unsettled at the moment, at which point I broke down in tears.

this isnt life - this is a living nightmare! Stupid thing is, everything has started to calm down now in my life - but for some reason I just cannot for the life of me stop this tension and worry.

Last 2 days I have felt really down in the dumps and keep giving huge heavy sighs which I don't seem to have any control over. I ask myself why I am so het up but I can't answer myself. Even though I keep telling myself all is okay now in my life I just don't seem to be able to 'pull myself together'.

I'm convinced that if I got my sleep pattern back I would start to feel better.

Melbi x

• Posted

Hi Melbi,

I still have trouble sleeping, and it is a daily effort to push myself. I filed for divorce after 32 yrs married and have found it hard to adjust before my wonderful partner cameinto my life. I was a farmer, have had 8 years of drought, broke my knee, had it rplaced, had a son with a brain tumour (he survived), one of my daughters was raped ... it has been a difficult time. I take a Valium three nights in a row about every six months, and that helps me get bacl into a regular sleep pattern. I have learned to recognise the symptoms of depression now, such as anxiety, neck pain, dry throat .. there are a pplethora of symptoms, and mine may or may not be typical. I have read self-help books, such as \"What are you waiting for?\", by Justin Herald, which is ok but tends to reinforce helplessness in depression. I believe sleep deprivation is a major factor in stress and anxiety, but if you can break the cycle you can gradually claw your way back. Life can be good! Take care Melbi, Breezman. xx

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Breezman.

I suffered terrible depression some 16/17 years ago which resulted in me being sectioned for 6 weeks.

I didnt know back then what was causing the depression.

This time I know what has caused me to feel this way (not depressed although on the verge of becoming so).

The valium did nothing at all for me to help me sleep, despite me taking the rest of my prescription all in one night after the first night of taking one tablet did sod all.

I have tried everything - I even downloaded a load of relaxation music and tried that at bedtime but zilch!

I've walked and walked (Sunday) but nothing!

I've managed to have the quickest shower ever and get dressed - I'm going out shopping with daughter today so will call into holland & barrett and see what they have to offer in way of relaxing herbs.

Kalm sleeps worked for a couple of nights but now they dont work.

Thanks again for the reply.

Melbi x

• Posted

Hi Melbi,

thanks for your reply. I have suffered with major depression in varying degrees since I was fourteen years old. We can be our own worst enemy and it is difficult to identify the problems when they is us! But sleep deprivation needs to be addressed, I believe, as a separate issue, because I have been awake for 70 hours at a time and just cannot sleep, although I have not had an episode like that for some time. It is very easy to overdose on medication at this extreme, and it is very easy to lose sight of the value of Life when depression, stress, anxiety and sleep deprivation converge to drag you down. I understand your situation, and I feel for you. In my case, I was prescribed Mogadon, which knocked me out for 14 hours straight. I was awake for just half an hour, and went down again for another 20 hours. But these tablets can cause unwanted side effects too, such as super insomnia if you take too much. How much is enough? My experience of the medical profession is that they have more questions than answers, they do not know more than they do know, and their stationery is provided by the drug companies. Perhaps through forums such as this we can help each other to a better understanding. I hope your retail therapy with your daughter is a rewarding experience, for you, not the bank. There is a bright side if you keep trying. xx

• Posted

Hi,

I have been on 40MG for more than a year. I can only say that for me that they worked. I was originally on 20 mg and it was not effective so don't worry, be happy, it will all work out.

Cheers

Chris

• Posted

Hmmmmmmm...I am worried about taking 30mg...will i notice a difference?...I dont want to have less sleep than I am getting!!!
  • Posted

After receiving the letter from work I think I need at least 60 mg to work :cry:
  • Posted

The chickenpox/measles/childbirth was easier than this!!!! Crushing my finger in dads office door was less painful, splitting my head open did not even hurt!!!!! :oops: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Folks, I want to go to my bed, but not allowed as I have my father in law over for tea, and more children playing with my children. I just wish this silly man would get a hearing aid!!!!!! My partners gone to work...this is not a relationship is it??? If it were , if he cared, he would have seen the crying the agony, the torture, and he would have asked why???...If it was not for his behaviour, I would be fine, I would not be lurched in this place...again!!!! Over and over, analysing all my own actions......who was wrong????!!!! Did/ have I driven them all to it???? I am so sick of this ,,,,,if it does not stop...I dont want to say what I am thinking about doing ......thogh I have my children...so [b:6b616402ca]I cant, but I actually want to, to get some relief!!!!! :oops: :cry: I want!!! I love them and I would feel sick if someone were to tell me how long I had with them, so babies yu have to be my strength girlies....there is no one else......(okay I have my sister...but why North...why is she soooo far away??????)[/b:6b616402ca]

• Posted

hi tiny tears...just read your posting.

you really need to start thinking more of yourself hun., if you were worth nothing..you would not have made the comments that you made..ie/ your children, also you wouldnt have the capability of caring for others on here, which you have done!

take a tip....dont let what you think others think about you cloud your judgement...sod them...think of you and see the good in you.. :wink:

take care..keep posting lv alyxxxx

• Posted

:shock: Maybe you have a point....I am just thinking I should reverse everything that has happened to me.....do moonies out the window.....if someone should report me for indecent exposure....I shall just deny it...mind you thats if they could be bothered to deal with such deviant behaviour :lol: :lol: :lol: (I am of course kidding...sorry I had to try and master something up, while I am in this place!!!!). Just so [b:d8b6c38a5b]angry!!!!!

i SHANT TELL YOU ABOUT THE NATURALIST THAT i SAW SITTING IN HIS BASEMENT FLAT (GOD, WHAT A NEB i AM). :lol: :lol:

But thanks, Katy[/b:d8b6c38a5b]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.