Has anyone been treated at Wolverhampton New Cross Heart unit

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have Paroxysmal AF and have just agreed to have an ablation procedure. It is difficult to decide whether to go for this or not when considering the risks that the Consultant runs through.

I am having second thoughts, but trying to see things clearly and thinking of the long term benefits,

I still wonder if I have made the right decision

My consultant Dr Ayra will be carrying out the procedure and I would like some feedback if any one else has had this done at the same unit.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

stephanie: how bad are your symptoms. Is your heart beating faster than 110 bpm? r u fainting or feeling sick? if not, why not just take pills as i do?
  • Posted

George I am a PAF sufferer. Would you mind posting what pills you are taking?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Stephanie,

I have had paroxysmal AF for the past few years which became more frequent 3 years ago. I was controlling it well with "Flecanide" tablets except when I had too much alcholol which triggered the odd episode. Unfortunately I suffered a heart attack over Christmas and I now have 3 stents fitted. Since then I have been advised by my cardiologist I cannot take Flecainide as it is too dangerous now that I have stents. I have been told my options are now either Amiodorone tablets or an ablation or simply "live with it". Amiodorone is apparently a toxic drug that can do a lot of harm and in any event is not suitable for long term use. An ablation to me sounds barbaric although I would still consider it if the success rate was better. I have been told it is only 60% and many people have to have it done again , some more than once. Not good odds in my opinion, considering there is some risk in having the procedure. A pity they don't know how to treat the cause - they don't as yet know what that is. Meantime, I have decided to live with it and the symptoms are reduced now my Metoprolol has been increased to 95mg per day. I am now in AF all the time, and I need to make a decision soon if I want the ablation as the longer I am in AF the harder it becomes to revert to sinus. I too would like to hear from anyone who has had an ablation or has any alternative suggestions. To summarise - I would go for tablet medication if that is an option and if it works for you - Best Wishes - Regards from Derek in Ch Ch New Zealand - nickname "Heartsparks"

• Posted

Hi Stephanie- I have the same problems and the same concerns as you Stephanie At the moment my medication of 5 mg of Bisoprolol Fumerate and 5mg of Warfarine daily is keeping my AF in check. I am currently on a 12 month waiting list at Blackpool Victoria Hospital for an ablation and having noted all the comments on the forum regarding the risks and long term problems following the procedure, I am somewhat loathe to take a chance on the outcome. I am 77 years old and began having problems in September last year. I have always been fit and socially active playing golf four times a week but now worry about my long term health. Mentally it is as though I am waiting for something to happen to me. Worried about every twinge or pain is the start of a stroke or heart attack. Maybe I am getting a bit paranoid about the whole thing but that's me. I don't know whether to take a chance or stay on the tablets. At least being on such a long waiting list is giving me plenty time to consider my options. Best Regards Derek

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.