Has anyone come down with a cold or flu while infected with mono?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have had mono for three months now and just as I thought I was finally beginning to feel a little bit better, when I woke up this morning, I started having the body aches, chills, and general feeling of being unwell again. My health anxiety had also subsided a little because I was starting to feel a bit better. I am back in college after winter break and the cold and flu virus are spreading like crazy, which is common, but I am not sure if I am having a mono flare up or actually coming down with something else. I am leaving to Washington D.C. tomorrow for a school trip with the honors society and I am completely freaking out about this! Can some of you guys share your experiences?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

IN my third month i got the flu last feb, and got food poisoning in may. Also, i had a couple of sinus infections later in the year. Each time it brought back my mono symtoms. Our immune systems will stay week for a long while. It sucks! With mono you have low grade fever and with the flu mine was 102+. Try to rest as much as possible, drink fluids and take vit C . Be safe dear

• Posted

Oh goodness Cjay I really empathise in terms of food poisoning - I had that twice in the same year about three years ago, it was just awful - to have to go through that when dealing with mono must have been so hard. Hoping you are doing much better now, hang in there. Things with this virus do get better with time.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Madison,

I remember I took a horrible cold / flu type thing about 3 months into mono too, it was one of the hardest times as I was floored with the mono already, and really just had to take bed rest for a number of days, maybe a week or so, until I felt the worst of the cold / flu had subsided. I definitely think it can be normal / easier to pick up colds and things when going through mono as your immune system is under a lot of stress fighting the mono, so remember this can be normal Madison although I know that doesn't help when you're feeling so unwell.

Hoping so much you are able to manage your trip, it's awful when you have something major on when feeling so unwell. Remember just take things slowly and at your own pace, and that things with the cold / flu and ultimately with the mono will get better - you've been through such a rough few months and I'm still thinking about you and believing that you are going to get through this, with God's help, I know it was only down to God that I got through it for sure, I felt so down and unwell with it it really is awful Madison.

But you are young and your body has amazing powers of recovery, and with some time you will get back to full health - I have strong faith in that Madison so hang in there and just rest as much as you can, take good vitamins / herbs to help (just let me know if want my advice on that just the same as I've said in a number of other posts), and hold onto hope because you WILL get through this and this won't last forever - even though I know it's hard to see what when going through this.

Craig

• Posted

It's weird...it feels like I've never had a cold. I've had the occasional sore throat, bunged up nose. But the dreadful feeling of this virus might have overpowered any cold I've had so I've never realised I've had one or I've just been lucky and not had one.

• Posted

I think that can be very normal Dodge, not to feel like you've had a cold / flu and just to know your body isn't right. I do remember having a cold for a few days when I first started to become unwell with it but after that I didn't feel cold symptoms as such, just felt fatigued, low grade fever, drained and knew that something wasn't right.

Hoping you are doing okay Dodge, and that you have had a settled weekend. I have a strong belief that this is going to be a year of breakthrough and recovery for you, thanks to God, hang in there.

Craig

• Posted

Omg I had the flu about 2 weeks after my mono symptoms began (had no idea I had mono as I wasnt diagnosed til almost 6 weeks in) and then 2 weeks after that, I was at the er and diagnosed with strep throat. Now I am on week 7 of mono and I have a bad head cold that I caught from my twin 15 month olds

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.