has anyone else ballooned in weight?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety just over 20yrs ago and I've been on and off anti-depressants since. I developed agoraphobia and drank to self medicate which led to me becoming an alcoholic. I stopped drinking 3 yrs ago and went onto fluoxitine. My anxiety/agoraphobia vanished and i felt brilliant - too brilliant! Then i felt bloody awful. I was then diagnosed bipolar so they put me on a mood stabilizer Venlafaxine. All i can say is HORRIBLE!!!!!!! They switched me to Mirtazapine 5 months ago and my weight has ballooned and so has my anxiety. I'm now agoraphobic again and have been waiting 2 months for pregabelen. I live on diazapam and sleep. Has anyone else suffered from a dramatic weight increase on this drug? I know I'm getting no exercise because i rarely go out but I'm interested to hear anyone elses experiences. Thanks. Xx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Read all the blogs. EVERYONE gains weight and a lot of it.  That's why so many of us are trying to get off this darned medication.  

I'm so sorry for what you're going through.

• Posted

The majority of people gain weight on this drug. Some gain A LOT - several stone. But you CAN lose it again. Once your body is adjusted to it you can loose the weight you gained.
  • Posted

Yes, mostly everyone on Mirtazapine gains weight because the drug increases your appetite. It also interferes with your body's hormones in an unnatural way. It affects your cortisol and insulin balances. And seeing as weight loss is all about having healthy, NORMAL hormone levels - weight loss is almost impossible on this drug.

My point can be proven by the fact that for one month straight I decided to go onto a raw diet of nothing but fruits, vegetables and drinking water (while taking this drug). I exercised for 45 minutes each day too. Guess what? I didn't lose ANY weight. NONE. Even though I was only eating fruits and vegetables. I still had this stubborn layer of belly fat caused by this drug.

That's why I'm getting off Mirtazapine right now. I want to lose this stupid weight that I've gained.

• Posted

Thanks guys for ur responses. I'm a big woman anyway but very much of the belief "if u don't like me coz I'm fat then that's ur problem, not mine". But this is getting bad. It's all on my front. I will say though my appetite hasn't really increased. If anything recently its decreased. But I'm sleeping most of the time and really not feeling that much better. I'm going to ask about coming off them once i get the pregabelen but obviously I'm concerned as coming off the Venlafaxine was horrible (but i felt so bad on it i didn't care - i just wanted off it). I'm losing hope and trying to get to see my psychiatrist is like asking for an audience with the pope. I'm down to start CBAS therapy too but have been waiting 5 months and now my anxiety is so bad i don't think i could get to it anyway. Think I'll ask to go back on the fluoxitine and be damned with the mood swings - at least i could go out and wasn't suicidal!!!!!! Thanks guys again. 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.