Has anyone else experienced chronic vertigo when on gabapentin?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ive had chronic vertigo for about 7 years. I had been on hydrocodone for many years to treat fibromyalgia, arthritis and spinal stenosis. I was switched over to gabapentin about 5 years ago. My vertigo vascillates in severity but is always present. It seems to be more consistantly debilitating. I am considering reverting to hydrocodone and need advice on tapering gabapentin. I plan to discuss this with my doc before doing anything, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced severe vertigo while on gabapentin

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hi Leila, I'm sorry you're dealing with some difficult health conditions, which are also a challenge to treat. Yes, gab causes "dizziness", but I noticed you used the more accurate term of vertigo. Forgive me for making light of it but thank you! Many people get the two confused, vertigo is the world spinning, dizziness may feel that way but people also use it when they feel light headed and faint.

I'd get brief moments of vertigo while on gab (I was on it for 3 years, have been off it since December) but several times, particularly during withdrawal I had severe vertigo. I couldn't walk without having a wall to assist me. Of all the awful symptoms I've had with gab (and there's a long list) I felt this was the absolute worst. However, you could also have some other condition like Meniere's or an ear infection. But dizziness is listed right on the patient warning sheets.

As far as getting off the drug. I'm in several groups regarding gab and our answer is always this: we can't predict how your body will react, we're all different. However the recommendation is 10% or less over 2-4 weeks or more. So, let's say you're on 1800 mg (600 mg 3 x a day) you reduce by about 180 (or two 100 mg pills) a day for at least two weeks, before you decrease again. I STRONGLY urge you to wait longer than 2 weeks, as some of us are so sensitive that it takes longer to get thru the worst of the withdrawal.

Look up info at sites like Inner Compass or Benzo buddies or Facebook support groups. VERY few doctors understand the side effects of this drug or how to safely decrease it. Going to quickly will cause more, and longer-term problems. As tempting as it is, until you know how you react, don't go too quickly.

• Posted

I wrote a reply which is waiting to be approved. I've been with this group for 3 years and I STILL haven't figured out why that happens. I hope my long answer will appear, otherwise, (I've learned to copy/paste and save now) I'll edit it a bit and repost.

The simple answer is YES it causes dizziness and/or vertigo. To safely get off gab support groups like Benzo Buddies or Inner Compass or FB groups recommend 10% or less over 2-4 weeks or more. I was on 2700 mg, took 3 years to get to 300 mg, then I stopped that dose after 5 months. It's not easy, but it's worth it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.