Has anyone else experienced hives after metal implant surgery?

Posted , 8 users are following.

about a minute ago

I began experiencing physical urticaria in March, with a rapid onset after a surgery in which a metal implant was used to correct a broken wrist. After being prescribed to high dosages and mixes of Prednisone, Zantac, Xyzal, Allegra, Singulair, etc. I was approved to start Xolair in May. The results were tremendous and I was able to get approved for the Copay program (does not depend on income). After living 30 years of my life with very little issues, the rapid onset after surgery led me to have the implant removed this last Friday. Post-surgery I have had NO hives. My surgeon, PCP and Dermatologists all told me it was a one in ten million chance that I was having a reaction to the alloy metal. However, my amazing Allergist (who initially led me to Xolair) let me know that studies on metal implant allergies are so limited and difficult to diagnose. I was lucky that my symptoms from the allergy were so quickly evident that it became very easy to point to the implant as a potential cause. I would urge anyone who has chronic urticaria and a metal implant to consider this rarely diagnosed cause! 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello! This is interesting, I have often wondered if this was the case for me but if it is the reaction hasn't happened quickly.  I had jaw surgery and then major spinal surgery 10 years ago. Screws and plates in my jaw and the whole length of my spine. One thing I have noticed is that I have a lump around where one of the screws is inside my mouth/gum. My Gp said I should inform the manifacturers, not that they can do anything but so they build up a picture of this is happening to people. My immunologist dismissed it as highly highly unlikely it was the metal. Especially as it was such a long time ago, but it could be it's broken down over time or something. I've had CSU for 2 years now. I'll be trying Xolair after my baby is born. I don't think there would be much I could do if I was reacting to metal as I don't think I could have my spinal metal work removed. It would mean major surgery again. 

Thanks for highlighting this! 

• Posted

hello 

I have similar thing ...I went to mesh implant hernia surgery in 2008 ...

after the surgery  immediately the itchiness began and it was controlled by anti histamine...

i went to the doctor who preformed the surgery and he confirmed to me the itchiness is not from mesh ..

I want to other doctors as well who said it is not from mesh ..

but my self I think  is is either the mesh or some medication that they gave me during the surgery procedure ...

I was fine until begging of 2016 with taking two antihistamine daily but from 2016 on wards the itchiness is interfering with my sleep even though i increased my antihistamine  to 4 fold ..and I can't sleep well due  to itchiness in most nights ..

so my doctor put me xolair i took 2 injections and I am due to take the third injection this week ..

the outbreak is less in severity and I can sleep most of the nights without problems ...

the problem now if i want the  mesh to be removed it is very risky and difficult now to take the mesh out..

so my only hope is that xoalir work and put me into remission 

• Posted

I wanted to know if you could describe or possibly provide more detailed info on your rash you had?

I had a similar experience after breaking my wrist in March 2017. Had Titanium implant with 7 screws. After 3 months or so began to have itchy forearms with small bumps. I then developed a small rash on my torso and lower back. The rash did not spread with scratching and felt like sand paper. The pores on my body seem to be filled with a hard white substance. NOT similar to a pimple because there was no head or bleeding when squeezed. I went to dermatologist who advised it appeared like Scabbies. After testing negative for Scabbies she said "sometimes you just come into contact with things".and She then gave me a Trianex cream which did nothing for my itching or the rash. After that I continues to have the rash spread to my calves, chest and behind my knees. After reading an article online about a person who had Titanium dental implants and had similar rash outbreak with severe exhaustion I asked my surgeon if it was possible to be allergic to Titanium and it said maybe after sharing my issues with him. The person with the dental implants had them removed and all his symptoms were gone within 3 months. He called an allergist Dr he knew and they decided to tape a piece of Titanium to my arm to see if I got an outward flare up. After 3 weeks I did not. The Dr's then tried a metal Patch test with also revealed minimal results. A biopsy was done which only revealed that my body was fighting something and there was inflammation going on. There was a test called the Melissa Test which was developed in Europe to test for certain metals but it was not approved in US nor covered by insurance so no go on that.

After meeting with both Dr's agreed no other significant event other than my implant surgery had been done to possible cause this reaction. I provided several articles from Dr website on persons having similar issued after some type of metal implant surgery. They said we had options, take a steroid and see if that helped, live with it, or take the implant out. I opted to the removal. I hope this helps someone out there. Some people react differently to different things inside there body. I will trey to post back in 3 months and let you know my result.

Impant placed March 2017 and removed Oct 2017.

'

• Posted

Hi Ed,

It started with an intense itching on my hands and soles of my feet as soon as they came into contact with something (carpet, usually) in the morning. From there, large, red welts would appear anywhere I would scratch. I didn't have any of the filled pore issues you described, but I have been asked before (by an allergist) if I did experience that.

• Posted

Hi Ed. Just checking to see how you're getting on now? Hope all is well

• Posted

Going better, all the rash bumps are gone from my arms, still have some on the back of my shins and the hair has not grown back on the front of my shins but the itching is gone. Since my last Dr visit he had mentioned that he has had several other implant patients experiencing “allergic” reactions and opting to remove the implant. He is working To see if any of the process or ingredients have changed at the provoder of the implants.
  • Posted

Hello I need some help please. I had my gallbladder removed 6 years ago and 3 days after surgery I developed hives all over my body and have had them ever since. I was told that it is possible that I may be allergic to the metal clips used to close this surgery. Getting doctors to help you is impossible. Who can help me. Who is your Dr. I am so desparate for answers. Thanks Kathy pahl
    • Posted

Kathy you might have to see an allergist and a dermatologist. See if they can agree on something and maybe do some research on th  metal used inside you and see if you can find others that had the same surgery and see if they have similar issues. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.