Has anyone else experienced manic symptoms while on anticoagulants?

Posted , 5 users are following.

hey guys

I I hope you are all as well as can be. having already asked a question similar to this before I don't want to drag you in this one too much.

However recently I feel the side effects of anticoagulants on me or almost unbearable psychologically, where I definitely feel they are causing symptoms similar to manic depression. I only feel the sores whenever I have stopped them the symptoms disappeared.

I am 27 and need some times include: random anxious feelings, very low mood, fearful thoughts amongst others.

if if you have felt similar from anticoagulants please let me know as it is really driving me crazy and I can't seem to live a normal life anymore since I have been on them.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Are you on anticoagulation for life or is it just for 6 months or a year?

If you are on them short term, maybe ask to change what you are taking. I took apixaban and had terrible anxiety, feeling like I was going to die and panic attacks. I changed to tinzaparin injections and the high anxiety I was feeling died down so much. But you can't take them long term because they can affect your liver.

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel Adame, I felt the same which is why I stopped taking the apixaban. Those feeling took time to resolve after I stopped it.

• Posted

hey jen

hope u r well.

since i stopped taking then a couple of days ago i feel like a new person. all thise effects have gone, but it was the same case with the other ACs i took before )warfarin, heparin, pradaxa and rivaroxaban).

when i am off the. i get terrified though anything may happen and dont know what to do. my drs dont really say much other than take them, but i cant take thm anymore as they r awful.

i dont know what ti do either ay?

• Posted

Adame,

If you have stopped taking the anticoagulants you need to keep active, drink plenty of water and take something like bromelain which is a natural anticoagulant. Look after yourself.

• Posted

Anxiety is not a known side effect of anticoagulants as far as I am aware, but having a DVT or PE is a big thing and it's common to suffer from anxiety as a result. I'd suggest speaking to your doctor about it. Stopping taking anticoagulants against your doctor's advice is not a good idea, because once you've had DVT or PE once, you are at a high risk of a recurrence.

• Posted

Medication doesnt usually cause depression. I think it is something else that is causing you to be depressed. Medications do not impact the mental state in bad ways, as far as i know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.