Has anyone else experienced severe depression after the removal of their Mirena IUD?? Please help

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone I'm so sorry this is unorganized and all over the place. I had a mirena iud put in about 2 and a half years ago, the first while (not sure how long) my body took awhile to adjust to it, I had severe sharp abdominal pains and cramps that lead me to curling up in a ball and bawling. I contemplated if it was worth it to keep it in and toughed it out. The docs said It could take a few months for my body to adjust.

Thankfully those horrible pains went away and I then had no period and I was happy as my periods were heavy and excrutiating. Long story somewhat shortened I went through some stressful times and ended up having panic attacks and just going nuts basically. Due to the living situation I was in and then this I was going through I didn't know what was the cause. I started having sharp pains where my iud was I was worried so id go get it checked by ultrasound and it was fine but the pains never went away and i really wanted it taken out.

I have a history of bipolar depression and I somewhat felt that creeping up but didn't realize it. I ended up wanting to kill myself I felt as tho i couldn't trust myself and got my step dad to take me to the hospital. I was hospitalized for 3weeks maybe a month and was put on antidepressants and antiphyscotics called Citalophram and Olanzapine.

I told them that I wanted my iud taken out they checked my hormone levels and said they were fine and there was no reason to get it taken out. I argued with them and said I'm having uncomfortable sharp pains and that it didn't matter what my hormone levels were i wanted this foreign object taken out now!!it's my body and I want it out!!

They still argued and I said fine I'll go to my family doctor and get it taken out, she ended up not being able to because she couldn't see the strings. I got worried and immediately booked an apt with my gyn.

Luckily she called me the next day and booked me in for 2 days later and I went in to see her and it turns out that it was there and the strings were small because I had had a Leep procedure done earlier this year and they burnt the strings accidentally. Instead of them being 3-4inches long they were about an 1inch.

Thank God she got it out though because my gyn said I had some pelvic inflammation. I felt that my body was ready to be a woman again which is why I was ready to get it out. It felt as tho my body was rejecting it. After I had it removed I had a little pinch and then I felt immediate relief. And I was happy i remember that day like it was yesterday.

I got my period about a week later maybe less and it was the most I had ever bled and being that I did not see that much blood in a couple years it had me feeling weak and woozy. So I just took it easy bleeding insanely heavy for about 7 days. It was really hard on my body.

Being that I've been trying to get my life back on track since the hospital back in June it's been extremely difficult. I am a second year apprentice auto body tech and have a huge amount of passion for what I do not only do I miss my work. I am literally not the same person anymore. I have zero resilience and everything hurts me. I feel like I'm 17 again and I cant handle what I'm going through!!

I've heard of the mirena crash and was worried once I left hospital cause I didn't know if I'd be ok. I was on those meds and couldn't stand feeling numb not only did I not know what to think or how I could barely feel and it scared me. And then they had me on Lamotrigine for my mood swings and sure they helped but I still couldn't feel anything, I felt physcotic because I can typically empathize with people but I couldn't feel properly and I wasn't quick to respond to anyone slow brain fog and worst no sex drive. I have an amazing partner and am extremely attracted to him.

I managed to land a job in the automotive industry but I couldn't handle the stress of that anymore and just didn't like my boss yelling at me or anybody for no reason and decided I couldn't take it anymore.

I was in recovery trying to get better since I've left hospital and it feels as though times been standing still.

My emotions are more and more out of control than they've ever been. I've had interviews for my career and haven't been able to land them and I think it's because of this depression. Lack of enthusiasm and care even though I feel the opposite has misleading side effects. I have never been this depressed in my life and I've never felt this emotional. I grew up awhile ago because I just had to learn from my mistakes and couldn't make them again. But for months I feel like I'm no longer who I used to be that strong courageous woman who loves cars.

I cry all the time and sometimes it's hard to get out of bed I'm lazy unmotivated and the opposite of who I've been(which I can't even believe I'm saying this stuff it sounds crazy and it's a living nightmare, I wish I could wake up and it was all a bad dream)

I know I may need meds but I'm in the process of going the herbal route with medicinal marijuana as I can't live with the side effects of pharmas. And I can't even trust them, I know people who've killed themselves on meds and one's off meds so I'll pick my poison wisely after I get more info and insight.

I can't help but wonder if my body is extremely f****d up from the fake hormones that the iud produced. I've read that there's a detox for the mirena crash and I've also read that the crash happens anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks before you get your period. Mine happens 2 weeks prior and I have intense pms like suicidal one on top of the depression that's heritery.

I have never been so worried or scared about anything like this in my entire life and a part of me still hopes to have children one day. I am also holding off on physc meds as I feel there is something seriously wrong with my body. I have read many things to do with hormone levels and such and tests have came back 'normal' and my Dr hasn't got back to me to reassure anything. I'm so scared and everything is so mentally and physically exhausting,

I want nothing more than to just be my positive happy go lucky outgoing fun loving self again....

can anyone relate to this or shed some light on this situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you so much and I'm sorry for the long article

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi i wrote you a private msg. I dont actually have experience with the mirena (just paraguard) but i have had similar issues. After rereading your post, im not sure why i thought you had it removed over a year ago... to be clear when did you have your iud removed? If it was recently, there are a few mirena detox guides on google to look into. If it was over a year ago i would say its something else, but im no doctor or medical professional... hope youre doing better. Feel free to write me via private msg or here
    • Posted

Hi Jenex

Could you please help me? I am much like the OP though I had the mirena removed last month. I'm going out of my mind and feeling suicidal. Thank you.

• Posted

Hi katherine67794

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

Hi Katherine, I just saw your note. Hope youre feeling OK. If you write me a private msg about your symptoms and the overall situation I'd be more than happy to over you my opinion and any advice I may have, but to let you know I do not have any medical degree- just personal experience with IUD side effects

Ttys💓

• Posted

Please forgive me, I did not read the last line you wrote properly and then replied inappropriately....

If you are having suicidal thoughts or ideologies please seek medical help IMMEDIATELY! There are various hotlines you can find through a simple google search, or im sure the resource provided above can be of service to you.

Id make an appt to have your iud removed today or tomorrow if possible.

If youd just like someone to talk to ill be on stand by waiting to hear back from you, please take care of yourself and know that what you are going through is not permanent and will pass so please dont lose sight of that.

• Posted

Thank you for the info and kind words. I have an appointment with my doctor this week as I figured the clinic who fitted and removed the iud were not interested and fobbed my symptoms off as rare. Fingers crossed I can get help.

K

• Posted

Thank you so much. I will try and write something tomorrow. It's 2am and I need to try and sleep although insomnia is one of my symptoms plus feeling the need to nap through the day. Speak soon. Thanks again.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.