Has anyone else experienced their fluoxetine no longer working?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I've been on fluoxetine 40mg for nearly three years now and it's no longer working - I don't understand why? The only thing I can think of is that I adjusted my dose of HRT recently (which I'm taking for PCOS and severe PMS).

If anyone has experienced something similar or might have ideas for alternative treatments I would be so grateful to hear from you :0)

X

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

A similar thing has happened to me. My doctor said that occasionally our feel good hormones can drop. Either through new medication or lifes stresses and strains. He advised me to up my fluoxetine to 60mg for a couple of weeks to level my hormones out. I did and was soon feeling great. I now take 20/40mg per day. Normally these are small set backs which are soon rectified. Stay positive

• Posted

Thank you Alison! :0) Very helpful, I really appreciate you taking the time to write to me 😃 I hope you're doing ok?

X

• Posted

i would ask your pharmacist if the generic brand changed. I was on fluoxetine for 5 years and did great on it. i went off of it for 1 year and then went back on. Was on it for 8 weeks and it was awful. I checked with my pharmacist and sure enough, they had changed the company/generic brand. Who knows what they are putting it the generic!!

• Posted

Oh my goodness! How can they do that to people?! 😦 Yes I am on the generic so that's very useful to know, thank you.

Have you been able to get anything else/found some relief?

X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.