has anyone else got depressed on Amlodipine ?

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi,

Have been on Amitryptiline now for 6 years for M E but managing really well , back to work and staying stable, was put on Amlodipine 5mg for high bp about 3 months ago but feeling really down with the Amlodipine added in, i,ve seen everyones side effects but just wondering if anyone has had mood changes / depression ?

Jackie :?: [/b]

6 likes, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was on Losartan and had bad side effects. Was really confused and had swollen lower legs and feet at night. I started to get very depressed and cried all the time. I stopped Losartan and went to another Dr. He put me on Amlodipine. The first night my legs swelled and feel totally out of it. I also have started the crying again. Are they the same medication? I am going to cut down to half of the 5 mg and see what happens Has anyone else had this happen? 
  • Posted

Hey guys,

I verified my mood swings with norvasc being a horrible contributor. I don't know what to do...

My depression, apathy, now plus anxiety is so bad, I want ro drop the crap. I also take arb Diovan at 160mg..

Problem: when I quit norvasc, even after couple of weeks, my morning bp reads like 150/100.

Any suggestions? I feel like just dropping norvasc at desperation.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi, I don't have an absolute answer for you as it has just been a few months since I realized how Amlodipine was effecting my mental state. Depression/anxiety are not listed as side effects so it is difficult to get a Dr. to believe these side effects are ligit. They are legit. Thankfully I happened upon this forum which opened my eyes. I knew then that getting off amlodipine was the first thing I needed to do. My BP is 145/84 without drugs, so my Dr. agreed I needed to get off the Amlodipine. I have been off for 2 weeks and the fog, depressive thoughts, anxiety, emotionless mental war is lifting every day. I feel like my true self for the first time in months. At this point I am riding out the BP. I'm sure I will have to try something soon if my BP doesn't go down with holistic/naturalpathic treatments. I Do Not recommend going off your meds without your Dr.'s supervision. Find a Dr. who will listen to your concerns. YOU KNOW YOU better than anyone. Make them listen. Switch meds. There are other meds you can try. You are not crazy. You will get through this. Let me know how you are doing in your search. God bless.

• Posted

I am so glad to find this forum. I was started on Amlodipine 5mgs 2 weeks ago for high BP and am really suffering from low mood. I've been very tearful for no reason for a few days and am having a few other side effects as well. I saw my GP today and although I explained how I felt he suggested staying on Amlodipine a bit longer to see if things settle. Any suggestions about herbal remedies for low mood would be welcome. I'm just glad to see its most likely related to the drug as I'm not used to feeling like this.

• Posted

Hi ann86026,  I have been off Amlodipine for 5 weeks. I finally feel like my old self again. I have joy, appreciation, I care... I could go on and on. Even though depression is not a side effect listed, I have my own personal experience which questions why it's not.. You know You better then anyone so trust your judgement. It is very frustrating going through this, make sure your DR. hears you and your concerns. As far as mood lifting herbs, I tried St. Johns Wort, 5HTP and GABA. None of these had a long term effect on my mood swings. For awhile I thought I was bipolar!. 5HTP helped me the most but you need to research before jumping into aminos. I have done a lot of reading on anxiety and depression to see if I could figure out what was going on in my head. My DR. is holistic and encourages his patient to educate themselves. He empowered me to do my research.  What I do know is my moods have lifted. I have found myself laughing and then thought, "Wow, that was a laugh! When was the last time I laughed?!",  since going off Amlodipine. I still have some physical anxiety, but not the mental stuff. Keep us posted with your progress. we are in this together.

• Posted

St. John's Wort is great for mood – BUT – I would check first on interactions as I haven't used them together. I stopped taking Amlodipine and Olmatec about 3 months ago after some lifestyle changes and getting my BP back in check. Despite currently dealing with prostate issues (possibly PC) my mood is still up like it "used to be". I can't say for certain it is because of no longer being on Amlodipine, but I can say my mood has definitely been much better and I've been significantly less depressed since I've been off it.

• Posted

I understand totally. After suffering anxiety and clinical depression for many years I have finally, to my delight felt my depression lifting over the 15 months and my mood drops straight away and no energy our motivation to do much when I take this drug. After trying so many other sorts of blood pressure tablets and not managing the side effects they finally settled on this that I dislike tremendously and avoid taking until my blood pressure rises to stage 1 and 2. Does anyone else find this drug creates a low mood?
  • Posted

I have only been on 2.5 for 5 days.  My feet swelled like balloons and I have cried all day.  So tired.  I told my husband to take out extra life insurance because I don’t want to wake up.  I’m so depressed.  Never depressed before.  Lack of desire to live.  I’m off this stuff. 
  • Posted

I am somewhat surprised at the number of  people on many different forums who have no Idea how to lower their BP without drugs so I thought I would offer 3 ways to do it. Research it yourself and then try it:

1. Soak your feet in a tub of hot water and do some deep slow breaths for a few minutes, then check your pressure.  ....or

?2. Take a tablespoon or two of Braggs  Apple Cider Vinegar and a 1/2 teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper in a small glass of water and drink it down.  Then rinse your mouth a drink some plain water...... or

?3. Just do some deep breaths

or ... do all three.

• Posted

Hello , my whole attitude, persona, outlook on life has changed, I'm starting to get depressed and so glad I'm not alone with the issues that I suspect Amlodipine may have a major part in the way I feel. I've been on Amlodipine for 2 years ( for HBP)and have over the last few months been felling sort of detached and very withdrawn, I can relate to a lot of the symptoms that are discribed in this threat. It's obviously had an effect on my family and it's been very hard to try and keep my marriage together, sort off stuck between a rock and a hard place, so gonna try and go down the health kick route by changing my life in more ways than one. Wish me luck.

• Posted

Hi, Anthony, it has been quite a while since I wrote my original post which you can find earlier. Contacts like the ones found here have practically saved my life. Here are a couple of changes I made along the way. Treatment is different for everyone so know that this was my path it may not be your's and don't change without a doctor's knowledge. I sought out a functional med doctor who gave me confidence to trust my own judgement and listened to me. When you begin to take matters into your own hands you are your own experiment. Finding help on the journey is the hard part. Anyway, after going off amlodapine I went on a Very low dose of metoprolol. This helped but not the answer. In March I started Magnesium. My mood and Bp has improved much. I was loading up on all the food we consider healthy and I believe that was not helping with the medicines I was prescribed as I had a problem with another med as well. I am enjoying good food, healthy and tasty with variety. Eat to live not live to eat is my motto. It's worth it in the long run. Don't expect encouragement from traditional medicine. Natural is not encouraged. Work with a functional doctor or a DO. Start a quality probiotic. I read somewhere that amlodapine is hard on your guts. This I believe. Start low and work up the dosage. I use a prebiotics as well. I hope this helps. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Joan

Thanks for the advice, I will take on board your comments, I'm planning to take things one step at a time, my first step is to recognise that I'm not going nuts and many many people have been having the same or very similar issues as myself. The feeling of detachment from my family is the hardest thing, but now I know I'm not alone and it's quite evident that Amlodipine can cause chemical induced mental illness I can now take steps (with the help of doctor) to combat this. Thanks once again.

• Posted

I was having some emotional issues also. I was very angry and depressed. I had been on amlodipine for 10 years. I had been feeling this way for so long I thought it was normal! During my annual visit to the doctor I learned that I had become prediabetic. I am not overweight and exercise regularly. I did some research and found out my BP meds can increase blood sugar! I was on amlodipine amd benazapril. I gradually reduced my dosage. I also use Resparate. I was coming home from work one day and I felt so happy! I asked myself what had changed. I couldn't think of anything except that I had reduced my BP meds! I was taking 14 pills a week. I am now down to 1 and a half per week. While I was reducing my meds I kept track of my BP so I would know if it was going up. I gave up gluten which causes inflammation which is a cause for high blood pressure. I use Resparate evey day which is a simple breathing system fpr lowering blood pressure. I highly recommend it. Upon my latest visit to my doctor my labs showed my blood sugar as normal! I hope this information will be helpful. I found my help and hope through this forum. I was so glad to find out that I wasn't crazy! My MD is not very supportive of my efforts so medically speaking O became my own best friend! Prayers for you in your struggle.

• Posted

Hopefully more people will see this forum and they will see that they are not alone in the struggle, pharmaceutical companies are part of the most powerful ball players on this earth, people's metabolisms are all different and when it's obvious that a certain drugs has these side effects it should come with a warning, Doctors will mostly and I suppose can only go what the pharmaceutical companies say. But I bet worldwide their are hundreds of thousands of people in the same boat as all the people on this forum. I'm so glad that I discovered this forum as I thought it was just me and thought I was slowly losing it , forgetting things like names of people whom I have known all my life, forgetting the names of objects and having to really concentrate to find the words sometimes, feeling of complete detachment from a lot of things feeling as if I'm in the background looking at myself, not caring about anything which is important like family, wife, kids, being alone even when surrounded by people who love you. Although I am angry that this is common and has been known about, it's now been identified and I can act to get myself back to normal and hopefully save my marriage. Thanks for the support much appreciated.

• Posted

And they wonder why we're so distrustful of the medical industry. There is good reason to be. Just because they have letters after their name does not make them Gods. I'm convinced that my problems have gotten worse because of the doctors and my body not reacting well to this garbage. I've been depressed severely my whole life and decided to live with it. Some of the pills make it worse. I've told my doctors there are easier more humane ways to kill me, if that is what their goal is. I've just short of given up. The fight in me is almost gone. I'm not even 50 yet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.