has anyone else got depressed on Amlodipine ?

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi,

Have been on Amitryptiline now for 6 years for M E but managing really well , back to work and staying stable, was put on Amlodipine 5mg for high bp about 3 months ago but feeling really down with the Amlodipine added in, i,ve seen everyones side effects but just wondering if anyone has had mood changes / depression ?

Jackie :?: [/b]

6 likes, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

These experiences are all similar to mine - I have told my story in a different thread. 'off amlodipine now' - please see this to hear my story about taking this drug.

Good luck to all

• Posted

I started Amlodipine 5 mg six months ago and was increased to 10 mg Dec 26.  My doctor told me that it had virtually no side effects.  I felt depressed, stumbled and fell 5 times in 6 months, could not sleep at night, developed pain in my legs.  I ignored , I started searching for answers.    I felt like I was losing my mind.  Finally I googled "Does Amlodipine cause depression?"  All kinds of confirmation popped up.  Thank you all for sharing.
  • Posted

I have been off Amlodipine for 6 days--see my post of 7 days ago.  Within 2 days all the negative symptoms I was having disappeared.  I went cold turkey which I know is not advisable but my depression was getting really out of control.  I feel great.  I am walking daily, doing deep breathing, eating well and drinking Alkaline Water.  I for one will not go back on the Amlodipine.  Amazingly, my BP has been within a normal range since I stopped. 
  • Posted

My 73 year old father was put on amlodipine. Within 3 days, he was lethargic, dizzy and had no energy. Prior to this week he was walking the mall(as older people do sometimes) for exercise 5 days a week and going to the gym and lifting weight 3 to 4 times a week. He was physically fit and full of energy. He has never had depression in his entire life. 

After a few weeks of feeling weak, tired, dizzy and having no energy, he spent several nights at the emergency room trying to get help. Every time they sent him home telling him nothing was wrong. He never thought it was the medicine. Upon following up with his doctor who put him on the medicine in the first place, they found his blood pressure was still elevated, so they added lisinopril. Within 5 days, he had admitted himself to a mental health clinic because he didn't want to live anymore feeling the way he was feeling and was telling them he kept having thoughts of suicide. They gave him an antidepressant and admitted him for 5 days at his own request. My mother says he was crying and couldn't stop. My father is a tough man who does not cry and does not give up. I knew immediately it was the medicine after researching online. After, my encouragement with the doctors insisting it was the amlodopine, they finally took him off of amlodopine and lisinopril. He also went off of the celexa on his own.  My dad is now back to his normal self.My mom said he has been to the gym three days this week already. It's been about 6 to 8 weeks since he has been off of amlodopine(norvasc). This is a horrible horrible drug and it needs to be taken off the market. It causes SEVERE depression and lethargy and a feeling of not wanting to live. Read this article: http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/norvasc/completed+suicide

106 people have committed suicide within 3-6 months of starting amlodopine according to this study. Severe depression is most common in men over 60. 

Why is this drug still on the market. I am writing this to try and help other family members if they notice a difference in their loved one after being on this medicine to get help.

• Posted

THank you so much for sharing this.  I really feel we must get the word out.

• Posted

I want to thank all who have posted these terrible side effects- I too wanted to end my life on this medication and came close, even almost had my daughter commit me. Saw this feed and felt relieved and stopped this med, feeling better after only a few days off . How these side effects are not listed or posted anywhere is beyond me!

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for your post. I live in Nepal and am suffering from the same kind of thing after taking amlodipine. I have depression and am on medication but amlodipine just makes it worse. So I have decided to come off it as it makes it worse and also depresses people who do do not have depression if they take it.

All patients should avoid taking this medication.

Particular to note is that Holland has already banned it and only recommends it for animals now.

• Posted

Hi I have been taking Amlodipine now for two years and now I have been diagnosed with severe depression.  I told my doctor that ever since I started taking the medication that I was not feeling myself.  I asked him was one of the side effects depression.  He told me no. I resently stopped taking it because I want to get my life back on tract.
    • Posted

It takes courage to get off of it. But I did cold turkey.  THe difference was noticable immediatly and improved gradually over a number of weeks.   I started working on my weight, walking daily and drinking Alkaline water.  I was not surprised to learn that it is connected to suicides.  I am by nature an up person and I was at the end of my rope.  In actuallity my BP didn't really change when I went off of it.   I was told by my doctor that NO ONE had ever experienced side effects.  Lowering your BP is not worth losing your mind.  Hang it there and do not be bullied by your doc.
  • Posted

I was on Imipramine, like you on Amitryptiline, and was also put on Amlodipine 10 mg like you. Was managine fine before Amlodipine. Suddenly began to feel depressed. Looked up the side-effects, and depression was one of them. It caused central depression and has already been banned in Holland. Stopped taking that and its been 2 weeks and am beginning to get my old self and state back. Advise you to stop it and take another med in its place. 
  • Posted

Wow.  Now I think I know why--THE WORST FEELINGS OF DEPRESSION EVER!  It's the Norvasc.  It is the blasted Norvasc!!!!!!  Why did my MD not tell me this--especially since I have been treated in the past for depression???????  I have just lost 4 months of my life due to this drug and not being able to figure out why I am feeling so listless, sad, empty, fatigued and having to use superhuman strength to even get in my car and go to my job?  Do NOT take this drug--there are so many other alternatives.
    • Posted

Hi my partner who has type 1 diabetes, was put on amlodipine a couple of months ago in addition to lisinopril he had been on for years due to his blood pressure having risen for a while. He was also change to a different station from simvastatin. Can't think which one and I cannot get up to look at minute. Anyway no matter as I think it is amlodipine that is the likely culprit here.

Ok, I have observed him becoming more and more lacking in patience with everything especially me . He sits staring into space with tears in his eyes. Hardly speaks to me some days and when he does he snaps and is off hand. I am a trained nurse so well aware how drugs can alter a person completely. But I have to admit I did not think of this until this morning. And it was the amlodipine I considered as I have come across it's horribleness before.

I have ME . Had it for 20yrs now. He has always been supportive and tried to be as understanding as he could be. But these past few months his attitude has changed. I have felt like I constantly annoy him and he is basically sick of me. I have had a lot of things going on driving me to dreadful stress and anxiety myself and he said the other day I have over reacted. Not true because they are very bad things. Including the death of my mother last year.. I thought o start with his increased depressive behaviour was because I was so distressed and he was empathising with me . But the other day I thought I would finally get to the bottom of it because each time I had asked him what was wrong he said nothing. When clearly there was. He was quite aggressive saying really awful things that were simply not true. Clearly feeling like a victim . He then alarmed me saying looking down the motorway from the bridge looks very inviting . It was all very unpleasant and concerning

Looking through the post where, I am even more sure it could be this drug that is making him like this. I know my illness brings a lot of stress and strain and I am not discounting it's contribution. But I think it is all being greatly amplified in his head and possibly by the effects of this drug. I think it essential we dal with this before something terrible happens .

Many thanks for reading . I am so worried.

• Posted

I don't believe I am crazy any more! Thank goodness for these threads I found online. I have been on 5mg amlodipine for a year. I wasn't overly concerned with my mood swings until recently and I feel like I don't know myself anymore.  Anxious, depressed, flat, emotionless, just functioning. (also I have headaches at least 5 days out of 7 and I never have had headaches. Other side effects are leg cramps and bad dreams, just not all the time, the moods are the worst) I thought my moods were a psych issue, old age, hormonal, thyroid, so I have done a lot of reading, had a lot of tests and it is not any of those. I may feel fine for a few days and then slip into sadness, and hopelessness, then I'll flip to anxious. Every day is a mystery. This is not who I am. I have had issues with anxiousness in my life, I'm 57, but never this. I want to get off amlodipine but I am afraid of the BP readings. I am looking into natural BP remedies right now, hopeing I will find something that helps. If natural isn't the answer what is the next best choice for meds? I tried lisinopril and it didn't work well with my BP plus it made me all hyped up. What is really frustrating is I have told 3 Dr.s about these reactions and they seem to blow it off because these side effects aren't listed. I really started to feel crazy. I am doing all I can to figure this out. I live with the knowledge that the answer is out there. One day I WILL be my old happy love life self again.     I will add, my mom is 85 years old and has been on amlodipine for 25-30 years without any problems. So not all have this reaction. Thanks for sharing. I will update as new things arise.

• Posted

I recently went gluten free to combat high blood pressure, high blood sugar. I have been on amlodipine/benazepril for about 11 years. For the last few years I have been having anger for no reason. Getting off of gluten cleared that up, it also helped to reduce my BP. I have been skipping 3 doses a week for about 3 weeks. I was driving home from work and suddenly felt HAPPY! Nothing I'm my life had changed except me skipping my meds 3 days a week. I thought WOW is this how good other people feel? I am convinced that the medication was causing anxiety and depression that I had for so long that I thought it was normal! I am no fool and am monitoring my BP to

Make sure it stays at a safe level. Going gluten free has lowered my BP because it reduces inflammation. Exercise also helps. I am 55 and feel 20 years younger now! I for others who share what they are going through. This site has helped me so much! I am excited to share my success with my doctor.

• Posted

Thanks for your encouraging post. I have been off amlodipine 6 weeks. I feel like my old self 90% of the time. My creativity has come back, my desire to get out of bed and meet the day has returned and I feel physically wonderful. This has happened over time and gradually. I still have a bad day periodically. I really hate those but they are fewer then the good days so I press on. For blood pressure control I am still researching natural methods. Right now I am taking Hawthorne. I also am attempting to go gluten free, regulating dairy, cutting all sugar, substituting with honey as needed. I gave up coffee and drink a dandelion coffee alternative. I increased my potassium intake as well as magnesium and calcium. I by no means have all the answers and what works for me may not work for others. It is frustrating to search the web for BP info as most sites are advertisements and not personal experience. I am thankful that I ha e a brother who had similar problems with meds. He went drug free as well about 10 years ago. My BP has been stabilizing at 150/80 which is about where it was when I started amlodipine. I continue this course because I feel better then I have in 2 years and truly believe in the healing power of food. I continue to pray for 135/75.
    • Posted

Thank you for posting this! It makes me feel I'm not going potty/regressing to a horrid anxiety I had 4 years ago, which still waves its tentacles at me occasionally.

I felt more than fine for the first 2 weeks, fine for the third, tearful for the fourth, viral for the fifth and now, towards the end of the sixth week ~ yes! I recognize what you said: one day fine, next it's like being flipped like a fried egg into sadness and hopelessness. 

I think I have to beard the/a GP and see if I can persuade them to swap the med. 

How are you getting on? 

• Posted

ps, I replied to your 3 months old post, before I saw the 17 days one. Glad things are improving! :D
    • Posted

sorry for not responding sooner, Alidh, I just saw your post. I am doing great. I am on a low dose beta blocker which seems to be working well. I feel so good mentally and physically. Last year I started vitamin D3 and upped my magnesium, plus I have been following a support group for women my age. this has been very helpful. I'm still searching for natural methods that will work for me. when I find the answer I will post. I still believe the amlodipien was horrible for me. my mom has been on it for 30 years without a hitch. she is 87 this year and doing great. some drugs are just not meant for everyone. I wish doctors were more sensitive to their patients words. how are you doing?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.