Has anyone else had problems with a trapped nerve?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I have previously had a trapped nerve which was dealt with by a nerve block injection.  Since the op it has flared up a little but the last 2 days I have been unable to walk because of the pain going from my back and down the leg. Has anyone else had this problem?   I am 22 weeks post op and my knee is doing well. However this is setting me back as I can't  really exercise at present.  Really fed up as was pleased to be on the mend and now this :-(

3 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure of the name or diagnosis but I had pretty much the same thing one time last summer. I woke up with tremendous pain in the knee and upper leg  to the extent I couldn't bend my leg. I had to have help getting dressed and used my walker. It was on a Sunday so I couldn't see my ortho till Tuesday. He did some massage to loosen it up a bit then made a couple of injections. It took awhile for it to loosen up so I could walk and then was sore as heck for two or three days. That has been the one and only time and I hope it was the last.
    • Posted

Hopefully mine  will wear off.  Before I had the injections it just used to ache all the time but walking helped to ease it.  The pain I am getting now I can't even walk. Hoping it might be some sort of  muscle spasm which I had in my back once and they give you a muscle relaxant which worked before. If it's a trapped nerve again it means a referral to the pain clinic  for the nerve block which can take a while. Friday 13Th  :-)
    • Posted

If we are talking the same thing, it is truly debilitating. I lived on pain pills for 2 days.
    • Posted

Unfortunately, I. Think we are.  Yes also back on multiple pain killers  although I can't take naproxyn, even  though I am on Omeprazole , so Am taking ibubrofen  and co codamol plus amyltriptilin. Wish I could say it was helping but doesn't seem to be. I am so mad as I was getting along nicely with my new knee :-(
  • Posted

I think my problem may be this. . but not sure because the stran ge thing is that the pain is only intense at night. During the day it's sore, but not agony.  At night, the whole thigh area is so painful I can't stand to touch it.  It does definitely make exercise difficult!  The pain is also  across the hip and lower back . . 
    • Posted

Hi Martin Does it just ache during the day around the back/buttock area? I was diagnosed several years ago with a nerve caught in the sacrial joint  and that was the ache I had. Sitting was uncomfortable but walking was fine. This time sitting is fine, walking excruciating  :-)

• Posted

Walking is fine . .standing still is agony!  During the day it's just sore to touch . .during the night it is sheer hell!  I can't understand it.  Not sure if it has to do with a crushed vertebra which I 'woke up' again with a fall in the bathroom . . .. 

• Posted

yes, five weeks ago . .pain started in the thigh soon after.  But the fall in the bathroom also happened on my first day home!  so not sure. . . . 
    • Posted

I think I read before my op that you can get all sorts of aches and pains afterwards. I suppose your body posture changes after the op.
  • Posted

Hello Suzanne, sorry to hear about your problem.

Tell me, do you believe that the pain is coming from your knee, or do you think that it might be coming from your spine and down your legs?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.