Has anyone else had problems with their knees and walking following post lumbar puncture headaces

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, my 12 year daughter was admitted to hospital after swelling was found behind her eyes. The first 3or 4 lumbar punctures came up dry before the head of neurology came up and was successful. The pressure was normal but for the last week she has suffered terrible migraines upon standingand has not been able to walk. She was discharged yesterday after a total of 6 days in hospital but whilst she is able to sit and the headaches are improving she is still unable to walk unaided. She looks like a brand new baby deer trying to walk and is complaining of pain in her knees. To touch,they are spongy and creaky. Is this just from not using her legs for a while and should I be encouraging her to keep walking. Has anyone experienced this. Would really appreciate any help.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I spent two weeks on my back in the beginning when I got up it was very painful in all my joints plus I was weak. The walking issues go hand in hand with the migraine. My doctors I've been going to have all said it's normal for people with cranial pressure issues to be off balance. And after the spinal tap she's probably low on fluid causing the off in her balance or even crazy motor skills. Get her up and moving as much as she can. 
    • Posted

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Appreciate the info and found it helpful smile
  • Posted

Hi. i was absolutely wiped out after a lumbar puncture (which I had asked Kingston Hospital four times not to do int he first place). I had so much pain in my head I was readmitted to hospital. I had to crawl around for days as the pain was so awful I would be sit upon even sitting up. I don't know anything, unfortunately, about the knee problems but the only person who made any sense to me after the post lumbar problems was an osteopath so if your daughter's issues continue I thoroughly recommend one. He said that for some people, having a needle go through the meninges to get to the fluid affects the tension to such an extent that it really throws the system out. I hope she recovers faster than I did!
    • Posted

Thanks Neia. I am so sorry that you, Lauren, my daughter and many others have had to suffer so much pain but please know that out of your pain, you have been a great help to me. It is your personal experiences that have been the most helpful to me (not the doctors who have just said not to be anxious) and also the most reassuring. I am very pleased to say that today (day 9 after the lumbar puncture) my daughter has been up and walking almost normally. Thank you to both of you smile
    • Posted

That's great news. I hope she continues to recover and you can both put this behind you soon..
  • Posted

Whoops - that is supposed to read - sick upon sitting up!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.