Has anyone else had unexplained SEVERE abdominal pain caused by depression?

Posted , 3 users are following.

my partner is suffering from un-diagnosed Abdo pain for over a year now.

they say they think its IBS however its not a clear answer for us.

does anyone else go though this?

PLS HELP

x

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa.  Being stressed or depressed can really affect the digestive system so it's certainly possible it's IBS, which causes the gut to go into spasm particular after eating certain types of food.  Anti spasmodic meds such as Colefac or Buscopan can help as well as seeing if its possible to identify triggers (ie emotional factors or certain foodstuffs).  It's also possible that it could be related to diverticular disease - another problem caused by stress and/or dietary circumstances.  Depression is stressful and stress causes the body to produce unwanted hormones such as higher levels of cortisol (adrenal gland over activity) well known as a contributory factor in unwanted weight gain as it can disrupt the body's response to hunger etc.  If your partner is taking medication for depression or stress, those medications themselves can sometimes cause digestive side effects.  All worth exploring.  If they have had the problem for a year and tests haven't discovered anything more serious, you can at least relax a little that it's not life threatening although it's very uncomfortable.  Hope that helps.
  • Posted

My GP has sent me for a Endoscopy to check my stomach and gut, as I have had abdo pain. I have to be careful as last October I had issue with Kidneys and sepsis so yes al sort of things can happen
  • Posted

Hi Lisa, I get occasional terrible stomach cramps (and my mom does too) when I am stressed, or weirdly, about a day after I am very worrid or upset. It is IBS. There are a few symptoms that your doc would look for...I have anxiety as well as depression.
    • Posted

How do you cope with it? She's finding it really hard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.