Has anyone else have liver problems with CFS

Posted , 3 users are following.

I too have been having these same symptoms. Started over a year ago with extreme fatigue. I mean severe. Taking a shower felt like I had done a 4 hour workout. Went to the doctor and they said my liver enzymes we elevated and had me do and ultrasound. It came back that I had a fatty liver. Over the course of the past year I have been to several doctors for fatigue, I would stop mid-sentence because I forgot what I was saying, I was slurring my speech, I would forget things ALOT. Also I have night sweats a lot. Even during the day. Get bruises all the time.Finally no one could figure it out so I was sent to a rheumatologist and she said I has chronic fatigue syndrome because I have had fatigue over 6 months. She did more labs and said that my liver enzymes were even more elevated so she referred me to a gastro doctor and had another ultrasound done that says "Pancreas mildly echodense. Liver markedly echodense also enlarged 17.8 cm. Adjacent to the gallbladder is an area that appears to be focal fatty sparing. Hepatic arteries cannot be visualized due to the echodensity. Venous flow appropriate. Bile duct 4.8 mm. Portal vein and IVC unremarkable. Gallbladder shows sludge. Pancreas echodense. Right kidney 11.2 cm without an acute finding". I called the doctor and said all that has happened within a year and they are telling me everything is normal that I just have a fatty liver but they would send me for a CT scan which I have on Tues. I have been told over a year that all my symptoms were from chronic fatigue syndrome but now I think it is from my liver. I do not drink anymore and don't take any meds that I don't have to but yet my liver enzymes keep getting higher. I just don't understand.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I don't know anything about liver issues, but the symptoms you describe are classic ME/CFS. I also bruise easily and get totally wiped out when I shower. My short-term memory is shot. 

• Posted

Wow, thanks for your reply. Has it ever affected your liver enzymes? This has just been so stressful and my coworkers and some of my family just don't understand what I am going through. I have been so depressed and my anxiety has been through the roof.

• Posted

None of my bloodwork has indicated problems with my liver. The ME/CFS alone is causing all the symptoms, which are many. Your anxiety and depression are totally understandable. When you have so much going on physically, which affects your life so dramatically, and on top of that, people aren't understanding--that's a recipe for both anxiety and depression. I actually found daily meditation to be very helpful in coping with this horrible illness. There are several meditation apps that I'd recommend, including "Calm" and "Insight Timer."

• Posted

Hi Christina,

A while ago a friend suggested to me that my cfs/me could be a liver problem as there is a liver condition that gives the same symptoms. I cannot remember the name of the condition! I outruled it in my case because my symptoms started directly after a car crash. Have a Google, i really wish i could remember the name of it for you.

Hope that helps.

Beverley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.