Has anyone else's stopped after bowel resection.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm 36, I had a resection of the terminal ileum and sigmoid colon in February. I then had a period straight after and then again March and April. However I've not had a period since April. M6 normal cycle is 24 days, I am now in the 83rd of my current cycle. They left 240 CM of small bowel, I have to take colestyramine for bile malabsorption. I've been metranidazole since the Op, but just started on ciprofluxocin and taking a break from met. Has anyone had similar experience? What caused it? What treatment if any did you have? Did the periods return?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had the same surgery in 2013 and about 12 months after my periods stopped. I've always been 28 days almost to the minute!! But then I was 47 years old so thought maybe it was my time. However the Crohn's was very active and I thought maybe my body had stopped bleeding because it couldn't cope with that as well. I didn't have a single period from February right through to the end of November......when I started a course of steroids. The periods resumed immediately!!

The disease is still active but using Humira now so not so acute and my periods are almost normal regular.

It is possible that if your body is under undue stress your periods can stop. But I'd get it checked out anyway as it is a significant change from your normal routine and you are still a bit young for menopause!!

Hannah

• Posted

Thank you for replying Hannah. It is reassuring to know that it came back for you having not had it for 8 months. I want to actually try for another baby next year. It's had me quite worried. I've been to the GP, they have done blood tests and I'm waiting to have a ultrasound to check the ovaries. I'm only in ciprofluxocin but went back to work end of May so maybe my body isn't prepared to have periods as well.

Hasna

• Posted

Hi Hasna

Really hope they start again for you and I wish the best of luck on trying for another baby.

Hannah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.