Has anyone else suffered with Derealization feeling of being in a dream but awake?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I have suffered with chronic anxiety for six years and Derealization for three years since my father died.

I have read that it is the brains safety mechanism when its been overloaded with too much anxiety.

It feels like I have been living in a dream but awake detached from reality and some emotions.

Has anyone else experienced Derealization for long periods of time?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You are exactly right!    The brain is trying to protect you from too much stress .

I have had  this  on and off for  many years.  many people experience it with anxiety. It's weird but can't hurt you.  

have you ever considered getting some counseling for your loss? It may just help you  

deal with your grieving in a way that promotes emotional healing for you. There's a very good chance your derealization  and anxiety would greatly diminish. That way you can get on with your life and have peace of mind . 

if you go to YouTube you can search for meditation for grief. There are several to choose from. 

They also have meditations for anxiety, depression, sleeping that are great!

they CALM DOWN  my brain to the point where my symptoms go away. Our brains need to calm down in order for the D realization and any other symptoms to be reduced or go away. I think these could really help you! A couple I really like are  called clearing subconscious negativity and detachment from overthinking. Choose the ones that you like. I hope you feel better! 😁

• Posted

Thank you so much for your very helpful response which is greatly appreciated...
    • Posted

I am also having these problems. No trigger though. I dont feel right out in company and wake every day feeling unreal.  I dont seem to fit into the world as I knew it.  The dr has said it is anxiety, i am on med but it not working, they have tried a few. My ibs is flaring up with this going on too.  All in all friends are kind but i just cant make myself go to invites for coffee etc. My nerves feel shattered, im scared all the time. Isolating myself. Over 25 cbt sessions, no better.  Identified problem but cant overcome it.
    • Posted

Maybe some councelling with a therapist would help?..

I had my first session last week which was a huge step after three years of chronic depersonalization which sadly feels really bad at the moment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.