Has anyone else with indefinite DLA been refused PIP?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was awarded both DLA and SDA around 16 years ago and told it was for life but today I received a letter saying my PIP claim has failed. I'm absolutely devastated and don't know how I'm going to manage. How can they take this money away from someone who was told it was for life? Has anyone else with supposedly indefinite DLA/SDA been refused PIP?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

So sorry to hear this im guessing they gave you reasons ? And have you asked for a MR.?

• Posted

Hi Kay, i'm sorry to hear this. Many people have had this happen to them. Life time DLA awards no longer exist and they don't mean anything now if you're able to claim PIP. PIP is different to DLA and has different criteria. Did you have high mobility with that car?

You're next step now would be to ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) you only have 28 days from the date on the letter to get this is. I'd also advice you to put your request in writing too. You'll also need a copy of your assessment report so you can see what was said. CAB are very good at helping with these. Most MR's fail and the decision mostly stays the same so you're most likely going to have to take it to tribunal appeal. Good luck and please give CAB a ring.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your replies. I only got the letter today but I intend to ask for MR. Why are they targeting the ill and disabled, it's just so unfair. I don't understand how they can give us money they said was for life, put us through weeks of stress with the forms and the face to face meetings and the worry and then take our money away!! It seems too unbelievable to be true but unfortunately it is true. Do they realise how many lives they are destroying, I read one woman is suicidal and so many more, like me are struggling to deal with it. Now we've got to apply for MR and then when that fails we have to appeal. Don't they realise we've already got enough on our plates with our illnesses and disabilities without all of this?  

Sorry I feel so depressed I needed that rant. 

• Posted

Just to give you hope I went through this with Esa and Pips. And was reinstated both times.It was a nightmare going through it but you have to be determined and tenacious and you will hopefully get there in the end. I failed mandatory so took it to Tribunal and won.
    • Posted

Thank you pollmadoll, please tell me ESA is separate and not affected by PIP as I am on this too? My letter just states that my DLA will stop on 17th Jan. 

I feel very angry that I have to go through that same nightmare but have no choice. But thank you, yes you have given me a glimmer of hope but feel I need some help with this. Denise suggested I contact CAB but I'm agoraphobic and the closest one is 8 miles away, there is no way I can go there. 

• Posted

ESA and PIP are completely different benefits but you could still be contacted anytime. When i had my PIP review form in July, ESA arrived a few days later. This was probably because i was due a reassessment for ESA anyway.

Did you have a home assessment for PIP? Did you score any points for Daily living and or/ mobility? Do you have a mobility car? if so then this will need to be returned and motorbility will contact you.

The reason i suggested contacting CAB was because they're good but you can do the MR yourself. There's also plenty of advice on the internet about asking for MR. I've never had to do this but know people who have. You need to ring DWP first and tell them you want an MR then ask for a copy of the assessment report. Please do this Tuesday because you don't have much time. Also please put your request for the MR in writing and send more evidence if you have it. I'm guessing you sent evidence when you first claimed? It's a long process but please don't give up!

• Posted

Hi everyone, I've not posted again as I've been spending hours putting together a MRN letter and finally finished it and posted it today. I've just noticed Denise said I'll need a copy of my assessment report, is this the letter they sent me telling me in detail their decision? I chickened out of ringing them as I have a phone phobia and just sent a letter. 

My letter said my DLA will stop on 17th January but it said nothing about my SDA. Please can anyone tell me if I will lose this too? I get what used to be called income support, sorry I'm not sure what it's called now. 

• Posted

Hi Kay, you'll need to ring them stating you've sent a letter asking for an MR just incase they don't recieve that letter. DWP not recieving letters happens VERY often. Ringing them asking for this will cover you. At least this way they'll know.

The assessment report is the report that was done after your assessment. The one the assessment provider did not the decision maker.

Any premiums you got because of DLA will now also stop yes. You'll need to ring ESA and tell them just incase they don't know. You don't want any over payments because of this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.