Has anyone ended up with secondary dysautonomia due due Lexapro?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I started straight on 20 mg on Lexapro on May 11th. May 12th, I ended up in ER due to bad reaction to Lexapro. I had tachycardia, burning all over my body, and sweating. Sometimes muscles spasm or get stiff. But it's like I can't move much in the morning or my heart rate spikes. I've never had that happen before. I get dizziness and chronic pain too. The most annoying symptom is adrenaline surges. It's like I can just feel bad anxiety and then that's when I know I'm going to get tachycardia and really hot. Those tachycardia episodes don't happen as much as they use to but when they do its very bothersome. I feel like it's hyperadrenergic POTS. I'm now sensitive to medications, foods, and stimulants. Has anyone had a reaction to this med that hasn't gone away? Or atleast took a while? I feel so alone in this and I have 2 special needs boys I try taking care of on my own. Alot of the time I can't take care of the house like I use to. I feel a big part of me is gone. I don't enjoy life anymore. And Im very depressed. Its been 10 weeks and Im down. Anyone whos gone through this or something similar, I'd love to hear your experience smile

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there..

Your the first person I've heard who had the same symptoms as I did...i didn't know if it was the Lexapro of the Mirtazapine withdrawals that gave me those symptoms but they were terrible.

I was taken off 7 years of 30mg of Mirt oneday and put straight onto 20mg Lexapro the next...it was horrific.

My symptoms like yours, the prickling all over followed by hot sweats and nausea and a massive panick attack, would start about 3pm every day...it went on for months..

I also had severe constipation, brain Zaps, couldn't work out who to even make breakfast in the morning, loud tinnitus and a few more things...

I cut it back to 5 mg of Lexapro and after several months went up to 10mg...im now, 18months later, up to 15mg... I still can't get up to 20 as all the symptoms flare up again including a rash ..

So, it was about 4 months for me to get over the worst of it but I still don't feel like me..😟

• Posted

Isnt sound very strange to start Legapro from 20mg from the beginning? I started from February from 5mg and every 8 days, increased gradually the doses to 20mg. The first two months were terrible. All the symptoms, I had, anxiety and panics became double and stop driving that time and avoid going out alone. After 4 weeks the side effects ok retreated, but the point was, that I could not feel the serenity I expected. So I gave them gradually up, I was feeling about ok for one month, but now I have also anxiety, when I am with friends or companies that I do not know very well and I can not express to them....you know...when I am talking to you, too much, I became nevrous. Basicaly this is my problem... When I confess this symptom to my friends, I have no anxiety and feeling about ok.

And now I do not know what to do. To take a bit of benzos 0.5 twice a day until September or change Lexapro with something else?

Or to tell to people straight...I have a compulsive thought and when I am talking too much, I became nervous? No matter if they think I am crazy or not? Any advice?? Thank you!!! Good luck!!

• Posted

Hi Bpickett, this is the first time ive heard a doctor start someone up on 20mg straight, i cant imagine the horror, usually they let you slowly work from 5mg to 20mg or max from 10mg to a higher dose, its a very strong medication and im still trying to stabilize on 7.5mg for about 3 mo ths now...

Im sorry about your symptoms, talk to your doctor about other options please...

• Posted

I think your doctor started you on way too high of a dose; 10 mg is usually the hightest they'll start a person on, and personally I think even that is too high for starting.

?After 10 weeks, the worst of the side effects should be gone, and you should be seeing some improvement in your anxiety/depression levels. I would go back into the doctor, and see about switching to something else. I'd also insist on starting at a low dose of whatever they switch you to. You might have to do some research on your own about whatever med they switch you to, as it sounds like your doctor may not be very knowledgeable about antidepressants.

?Good luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.