Has anyone ever 100% beaten panic attacks!?

Posted , 4 users are following.

This forum is so great to read , knowing that a lot go through the same as myself is comforting . when I'm in the darkest of a panic attack I try to think there are others going through the same . My worst times are at night at 2am - 5am ... When I feel the world is asleep and no one around to talk to! The next day I feel silly about the way my brain reacts . At work no one would ever know the terror from the night before ??. Has ANYONE ever fully recovered from panic attacks ? The thought of the future with these is a scary prospect !!

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I dont think they ever dissapear once you have them. Some have them fully managed and arent phased by them when the rush occurs. Dont be scared by that maybe within the coming decade they will figure the cause of it out and be able to reset the fight or flight response. Or if it turn out to be some kind of virus reverse it. Just concern yourself with the here and now. One in five get them for whatever reason so know you are no where near alone.
    • Posted

Sorry about delay in replying , something funny going on with the site I think ... Thanks for the reply , I'm terrified of the future with this but on good days all is rosey !

Yes I really do hope that there is a proper cure / answer out there . I'll try the here and now for now , I'm not in panic attack mode right now so am very grateful .

• Posted

Once I started meds, they were never as bad as that first one that sent me to urgent care. If I get one now, it is very light and easy to handle. I do have years of experience as a counselor to fall back on. That, I now see as a big plus.

The more you learn methods to handle them, the easier to slide over them. The more you spend time reading through other anxiety discussions here on the forum, the more you will learn....no better school. With all my experience, I regularly learn new things here.

Knowledge and understanding are very powerful tools...and equally powerful, the acceptance that you have a disorder.

May I assume you have seen a doctor and been diagnosed? if so, were you prescribed meds?

You are in the right place and will get a lot of caring, supportive people here who have all been, or still are where you are, Honey.

• Posted

Thank you cia, you have some great advice (I've read some of your other replies to people) & yes this is one of the better forums I have found , for some reason it helps to know others are reading this and it's mostly real time ! Although I've no idea is this an American site or what as I seem to be on it when the rest of you are asleep ! Yes I've been to a doc as I freaked out in work a couple of weeks back , I'm taking Xanax & low dose sertaline . I feel a lot of it it hormone related . Thank you again

• Posted

I used to get horrible panic attacks ontop of my anxiety. I have not had a panic attack in over 3 years, but there have been times where I felt on the verge of having one. What really helped me was running! For some reason running hard mutiple times a week eliminated my panic attacks. It did not eliminate my anxiety but it did lessen it. I hope this helps it's worth a try.

• Posted

Unfortunately I have a lot of pain from two injuries so running is not on my to do list ! I find when I am at the peak of a panic attack that exersion makes me worse , but your point in being on the verge and then exercising makes sence to me . I think I wanted someone to say YES I got fully cured from panic/anxiety !! Thank you for your reply & I'll put your tip to good use !

• Posted

I have talked to people that have had some panic attacks and then never had them again. Anxiety is not like cancer or another true physical illness that is cured with medication. Anxiety is our brains working against us,because it needs reprogramed. A great book that explains this is 10 Best-Ever Anxiety Management Techniques.

Don't worry if you can't be cured in the traditional sense, but with enough mental strength you can eliminate the severity or have very few or no symptoms as time goes on. Sometimes you need meds ot help but CBT will help.

• Posted

Thanks so much for the reply Diane . I sometimes feel like (and I'm sure others do too ) that I am only leading a tiny percent of the life that I should have with this .

I will look into all of the above .

Feel better after all the replies

• Posted

Thanks so much for the reply Diane . I sometimes feel like (and I'm sure others do too ) that I am only leading a tiny percent of the life that I should have with this .

I will look into all of the above .

Feel better after all the replies

• Posted

I have given up caffeine and sugar (as much as possible) and,other things that cause stimulation.

I exercise as much as possible - walking and bike riding.

I eat well, mostly organic and lots of salad and grains.

Another things very helpful is lots of water.

When I feel the,slightest inkling of anxiety I just say to myself - that's nothing go away. I have trained my brain to react that way as soon as I feel the throat trying to tighten etc.

So far I haven't had an anxiety attack in a month.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.