Has anyone ever been given colofac for Dv ?

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi, i suffer from chronic Diverticulutis and my doc has just prescribed me Mebeverine/colofac.

has anyone else used this and how did you get on?

thanks,

#miserable 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I too suffered from chronic acute diverticulitis. I never heard of that medication, was always on flagyl and ciprofloxacin. This disease is horrible. You just have to be careful of what you eat. I'm 6 months post op (sigmoid colectomy) where they removed 4" of my colon. best decision I've ever made. I am with you , ask away any questions.

• Posted

Hi Debbie. I was prescribed mebeverine some time ago, but it didn't suit me. As with almost everything with this awful disease, there isn't a one-for-all quick fix. Give it a try and I hope it gives you some relief but if not you need to go back to your gp.

My own situation is that after nearly 3 years of increasing episodes, I have an appointment with my consultant on Tuesday to discuss surgery. Thank you Glenda_821 for your comment on your own surgery

• Posted

You're welcome. I wish the medical community would let it be known about diverticulitis, I'd never heard of it until I was diagnosed. I suffered through the years with what I assumed was phantom menstrual cramps, now I believe it was diverticulosis. The year before I was diagnosed I was in the doctor's office multiple times, treated like I was exaggerating, and given flu medication. Finally in July of 2016 I was rushed to the ER, fainted in the reception room. They ran a cat scan and confirmed it was chronic acute diverticulitis. I flatlined that time. it took 18 months of sheer hell and 14+ attacks before I finally got approved for the surgery. Turned out it was just in time. I had severe scar tissue blockage, holes in my colon and sepsis. I've been through the ringer and would like to help anyone if I can. Doctors tend to ignore the symptoms and have no clue as to the pain and helplessness associated with diverticulitis.

• Posted

I was initially checked, over several visits and procedures, for bowel cancer so the diverticular diagnosis seemed to be a far better outcome. However, this has now developed the further problems of IBS and gluten intolerance.

I am just about recovered from a nasty episode which has lasted for 5 weeks and included a quick trip to hospital. I was seen by a surgeon back in August and he said that I couldn't go on like this........ I need the op. That direct comment made me realise what was happening not only to me but to my very supportive family. It is good to hear some positive comments are the operation. Many thanks.

• Posted

I won't lie. the surgery pain was excruciating but worth it. Also depends on if they do it lapriscopic or open cut. Lapriscopic recovery is much shorter than open cut. I had open cut. The good thing is the constant diverticulitis nausea was gone. I forced myself to immediately walk, and kept it up to this day. I've been able to eat things I haven't had in years, still in moderation. You will experience lower back pain, if you have an open cut, because the stomach muscles they cut control the lower back muscles. Follow everything the surgeon tells you and the rewards are wonderful. It takes 6 months for the muscles and nerves to completely heal. Try not to be a super hero, your body will let you know you're overdoing it and it could mess you up. Eat food in moderation and always keep in mind what goes in has to come out.

• Posted

Glenda, was you giving a choice on which surgery to choose? Are you hosiptalized for the Lapriscopic?

• Posted

I had to go with the open because of my family history of colon cancer and because of the amount of attacks I had in such a short time. I was actually happy because that way the surgeon could go through my whole colon. Thankfully I didn't have cancer, and he was able to knock it off the potential problem list. As we all know, cancer sometimes doesn't rear its ugly head until later. Yes, you are hospitalized for lapriscopic. Not as long as open. I was in the hospital for a week. The length of time depends upon your situation. I was fortunate the scar tissue/blockage, hole, and pouches were all in a small area. I was unlucky to get sepsis though, almost did me in. I had been telling my doctor for over a year something wasn't right, he wouldn't listen. Yes he apologized to me during my follow up. So my healing process was a bit longer than usual, but still have to watch what I eat and how much because of the sepsis for a full year. No matter of the healing length, I am so glad of having surgery done. It's much better than living with diverticulitis pain and all the symptoms.

• Posted

Glenda may I ask your age? My grandmother died from colon cancer. Who in your family had it? I am scared I have had close flare ups!

• Posted

I am 58. I was first diagnosed when I just turned 56, however I had the "phantom menstrual cramps/diverticulosis" for at least 30 years. My Dad had colon cancer, my grandfather, my uncle had prostate cancer. My oldest sister had precancerous polyps. During the open cut, the surgeon literally ran my colon through his hands to make sure there was no cancer. I had several tests that all came back negative, but he wanted to be positive on the no cancer. It is frightening to have so many attacks, I refuse to refer them as flare ups, so close. I literally was constantly taking the antibiotics, which also concerned me. When you have them so close together, surgery is the only option. Don't be scared, I am so glad I had the surgery. Immediately the diverticulitis symptoms and nausea was gone. Yes, it's a long recuperation but so worth it.

• Posted

I never heard of it. IS that what he gives you for the infection?

• Posted

Mebeverine is for irritable bowel which you may have as well as diverticulitis. it never did anything for me and is not a treatment for diverticulitus. many doctors seem ignorant of the pain suffered and seem to treat it as though its almost a made up thing. I had a resection in July 2017 and am only recently feeling truly well and have my bowels back to normal. although it has been a long time to get to this state, I have no regrets about having surgery and being free of constant pain and endless courses of anti biotics. If mebeverine is no help to you and you are eating a sensible diet, keep going back and dont be fobbed off by your doctor.

• Posted

I was told Mebeverine was an antispasmodic and was to help with cramps during an attack of Diverticulitis. When I was having the awful swamping cramps that came over me in waves, it did calm them down. But it's not an antibiotic and has no effect on the infection.

• Posted

thanks guys,

if i get a bad flare up, ie temperature. then i have an emergency supply of co amoxiclav.

ive used mebeverine in the past for ibs and to be honest, it didnt help that either.

ill go with the flow for a while but the pain is still there, so i think ill end up back at the docs again.

deb

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

Yes, I have been taking colofac/mabeverine for many years ( I was diagnosed in my early twenties with colitis, which then led on to gall bladder, then diverticulitis....I am now 86)

I take a Colofac three times a day before meals and they seem to help relax my gut. So far I have managed to avoid the need for surgery.

I think the best thing I have ever been prescribed is a probiotic which I buy and take one a day. This was recommended to me by a hospital consultant about 10 years ago, and taking it has made such a difference to me...I used to sit for a whole day or night on the loo, in agony, trying to pass stools and feeling utterly awful. This was then usually followed next day by constipation which was equally agonising. I then took a course of Metranidazole because I was usually passing mucus, which indicated an infection. Since taking the probiotic I very rarely experience this which is a wonderful relief.

About five years ago my GP gave me BUSCOPAN tablets for the pain of stomach ache and cramps and these too are really helpful. I take 2 and go to bed with a hot water bottle plus two paracetamol, and this helps greatly. I don't take these regularly as I do the Colofac, I take them whenever the pain problem flares up again.

As for foods I avoid anything containing seeds and have just invested in a Nutribullet which makes it possible for me to eat berry fruits again, as it completely breaks the seeds down ( I make strawberries and raspberries etcetera into purees, which I mix into Greek yoghurt.)

Having diverticulosis is bad enough, but when it becomes diverticulitis it is totally miserable. very draining and depressing, I do agree. I hope my reply helps you in some way. Take care.

Ruth

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.