Has anyone ever been on Nortriptyline?? NEED HELP!!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was given Nortriptyline (pamelor) last year for Migraine prevention. I was taking 25 to 75 mg.  After taking it for about a year, I felt that it was making my heart race, and making me very tired.  I came off of it about two weeks ago give or take a few days.  For the past week and a half I have noticed that I am very emotional, feel flat almost depressed.  I cannot sleep, and when I do fall asleep cannot stay asleep. Wake up constantly.  I have had a headache for the past 5 to 6 days, at times a bit dizzy, a little nauseous.  When I move my head quickly sometimes I feel a weird feeling like a buzzing. ( hard to explain)  Could this be withdrawal symptoms?  and how long will they last?  I stopped the medication cold turkey which was not smart.  But now I am panicking because I am not sure if somethings wrong with me or its the withdrawal.  I got my period five days early, felt horrible. Now I am thinking its the withdrawal..can someone please help me out, feeling desperate and scared!!!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello jennifer84396. It's been 2 months since you stopped taking nortriptyline. Did you have any success in stopping it? Are you still experiencing withdrawal symptoms? I'm currently on 20mg nortriptyline for the past month and a half. I, too, am also experiencing extremely fast heart rate (130bmp every morning I wake up!) in addition to the dry mouth and constipation. So far nortriptyline has done a good job decreasing the number of headaches I'm getting each day. I just don't like how the drug is affecting my heart. Did you experience fast heart rate soon after you started nortriptyline or did it just recently start happening and that's why you're quitting cold turkey? Thanks.
    • Posted

Hi Jac,  I did go back on the Nortriptyline.  I realized my odd constant headaches were a result of the withdrawal.  I am currently taking 50 mg once a day.  I also experienced rapid heart rate when I began taking it the first time a few years ago.  After being on it a while, the palpatations subsided.  However, i do experience anxiety so I still can get that at times. My Neurologist who perscribed the Nortriptyline sent me for an EKG.  I went and it was normal.. Have you had your heart checked by a doctor?  I do experience dry mouth and I do benefit from it because I have IBS-D, so it helps the diahrrea and cramping.  Maybe you could tell your doctor that the med is helping you, but is there something you could take to slow your heart rate to make you more comfortable...Good Luck

• Posted

Hi Jennifer. I am currently hooked up to a heart monitor for the next 2 weeks. The increased heart rate and palpitations are quite scary and often happen right after i wake up. I also noticed my blood pressure has gone up since taking nortriptyline. I'm also experiencing hair thinning and hair loss and I'm not liking it. What girl wants to be bald? Are you experiencing thinning hair loss as well?
    • Posted

Hi Jac, No I have not experienced the hair problem.  However, if this medication raises your blood pressure and increases your heart rate to 130.  I am not a doctor, but I don't know if this medication is good for you.  What do your doctors say?  My sister's BP went up when she was on Amatriptyline, which is a Triciclic just like the Nortriptyline.  There are other headache preventatives that might be better for you with less side effects...keep me posted and feel well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.