Has anyone ever had thoughts of dying for no reason but not suicidal?

Posted , 7 users are following.

One day I woke up all normal and good when suddenly I had thoughts that were telling me I was gonna die today. I don't know how or where or when but that I was going to die very soon. That was about 2 weeks ago. Those thoughts really scared the hell out of me. So I been having severe anxiety where I have at least one panic attack a day or every two days. And even if I don't get an anxiety attack, I still get at least one anxiety symptom such as chest pain, numbness on hands or any other part of the body, headaches, very anxious, negative thoughts, racing thoughts, and etc. So today I had those dying thoughts again. So random. Idk if its because I went to the doctor and told me that I have aortic valve rigorgitation but she said that's its really nothing to worry about. And after that when I left the doctors office I started to cry because I was so scared of what can happen to me after my diagnosis. I tried to calm myself down and I distracted myself I went food shopping, met up with my boyfriend, and started to talk to him about other stuff and I eventually forgot about the doctors visit. Which was a good thing. Hrs later i came home and those dying thoughts came again. Super scary telling me I'm going to die soon. Idk what's going on with me. But I'm super scared. lately I been very super stressed and depressed about things that are going on in my life right now. Has anyone ever had these thoughts? Is this anxiety or am I actually going to die ? I'm scared

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Its fear. Very very negative thinking. Fear does that. Fear build a wall between you and everything else. Its horrible what it does. It feels like dying sometimes. But guess what..its all one big huge liar. Fear is a liar, fear is a bully and fear, the way its owning you is primitive. Take it all back. Slowly but take it all back. Fear doesnt get to own you. 

Its an emotion running off the fight or flight but very primitive. You are evolved. You have a hierarchy of thinking and need to start using it, your body listens to your mind it has no clue what else to do. You have to learn to meditate. Its so useful. Hard to learn and really do it but its a way to get around the fear. It brings you deep within yourself to a place of calm. A place you can relax and kind of work from deep with out. If that makes sense. They have beginner meditations to start with. Its not like some guru thing. Its real. Mindfullness, mindful breathing its all very real and accessible. Id say practice that a couple of times day. Start with beginner ones. Guided mediations are nice but the goal is for you to guide them. Utube has tons and tons of them. 

Counselling is a good idea. You need to be able to vent all your thoughts out and be listened to and discuss them. Safely and constructively. Learn all about anxiety and anxiety disorders. The science of it too. Lot of learning so you understand what you are dealing with. Then cbt. They have cbt workbooks online. apps too. 

I have a strong suspicion as with everyone with severe anxiety the fear rules are potent and involve the fear of meds. They involve the fear of most everything because its primitive fight or flight. If the doctor feels you need them. Not a bad idea just to get you to a place where you can calmly begin to absorb the cbt and practice it. Meds arent forever. Many many use them short term. They even have as needed ones. You need to dismantle the anxiety rules and negative thinking programs in your mind.

Be great if science had a fix. A reset button. But until they do this is in us to manage it. It can be managed and guided but it takes all of you. A lot alot of work and awareness and you need to trust the person helping you. There will be times even when managed it breaks thru..seem to be how it is but once you have learned the skills and tools at least you have a goto to self calm or have learned how to let the whole thing pass or wash thru without emotionally attatching to it or believing all your thoughts. Thoughts arent facts at all. They are mere thoughts. They only become more if you empower them. 

I dont know if that helps you. This is a internal journey and its potent. But it is manageable most if the time. It changes you. Which is good. Change is good in dealing with an anxiety disorder. 

Somehow as you are going thru all this..stop and look in the mirror and love yourself. Love yourself as is.  You need you very badly. This makes us vulnerable,Doctors are doctors they are not Gods. They know what they are taught. 

You have a lot of life in you. The fear is sitting on it. So at least get a therapist that you resonate with and start digging your way out of all this. Baby steps.

• Posted

Thank you very much Lisa. I feel fear everyday. I even imagine picture myself in a hospital bed dying and my family crying over my bed as I lay there dead. Like its so scary. Its like I'm afraid of my own mind. Like I wish i can shut my brain for a while so I wouldn't think negatively so much. I will definitely take your advice. I want to feel normal again. Thank you once again.

• Posted

Completely normal with anxiety. It's weird I'll have random days like that were something is telling me I'm going to die soon but the more focus you give them thoughts the more stress and fear they cause. As hard as it may sound you have to recognize it as just a thought and let it roll off. Are yo on any anxiety meds or depression?

• Posted

Hi diana , that's definitely apart of anxiety I feel that fear sometimes with my anxiety you are not crazy or alone , it is very scary , but yes I do get the feeling of Impending doom it comes and goes

• Posted

Hi....what are your symptoms of the "aortic valve rigorgitation"??

I've been hearing of that on here alot, and think it may have something to do with my anxiety.

Thanks!

• Posted

Hi. My symptoms are shortness of breath and i get tired quickly with little exercise but the doctors said that those symptoms are associated by my anxiety and not the aortic valve rigorgitation. But (sigh) who knows. I'm just so scared that my condition is going to kill me.

• Posted

Hi Diana,

The good news is that you are not going to die soon from the sounds of it. Basically anything abit abnormal to do with the heart is super scary cos it's what keeps you alive.

I would hope that the doc explained or showed u diagram in detail about this aortic valve regurgition. I know nothing of this but if it was something serious you'd have been driven by ambulance to hospital straight away and the doc would not have let u go.

You're getting these thoughts of dying because your thinking the worst which is normal BUT because you kinda buried it when u met ur bf you were effectively storing the worst and not dealing with it. The more you bury stuff like that , the more it will just randomly pop into ur mind at odd times and then ur creating a vicious circle/cycle.

So ur getting the thoughts of death and that it's gonna happen today or soon which is irrational. But that's anxiety. The heightened anxiety makes you think irrationally.

I had it once. I thought I'd cause HIV and that I was gonna die within 6 months.

You must go back to docs and be treated for the anxiety cos it's reached a level where u can't just switch it off right now. Please share your worst fears, especially to ur bf or someone u trust because the burying of these scary thoughts is part of problem. You will get on top of this but give it time. It won't be a quick fix.

But just to repeat the anxiety is causing these thoughts. You ain't gonna die.

Hope this helps. 😃

• Posted

The scary thought I get with my intense anxiety is that I'm going to hurt someone else, anybody else really. I scare the crap out of myself because I then pick every piece of that thought apart and analyze it over and over, and anxiety wins. I know I would never harm another living soul but anxiety feeds on our worse fears and that's how it lives. I'm on sertraline and I see a therapist to help me become a more positive thinker.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.