Has Anyone Ever Heard Of Having 2 Procedures?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just joined, and I think I posted my question under someone else's question, so I'm going to re-post it here. Sorry for the mix up. In Aug. a CT Scan showed I had a 7mm stone at the Ureteropelvic Junction. When I would urinate, it would be all blood. In the middle of Sept., I had a great deal of pain (went to ER), and another CT Scan showed the stone was 9mm, and had moved to Distal part of Ureter. Went to Urologist. He scheduled a procedure on Oct. 23rd, to remove stone, as stone was blocking urine flow from kidney. Was done thru Short Procedure Unit at hosp. Was given Propofol, Versed, & Fentanyl thru IV, and then given a Spinal - could not have a general because I have severe COPD - Emphysema. Doctor could not get the stone out. It was impacted in the wall of the Ureter. He used a Laser, but stone would not break up. Put a stent in to let the urine flow, and to make Ureter open up. Have had stent in for 7 weeks. Scheduled to have another procedure this week to see if he can get the stone out this time. Was told he's going to use a Laser again, and since that makes the Ureter swell, I'm going to have to have another stent put in, so urine will be able to flow thru. Any comments about "this mess" would be greatly appreciated, as I am really scared. 

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I worked for vets for a number of years and spent ten years with a doggy daycare. I have three dogs right now. A great dane, a shepherd mix and a husky mix. I grew up with cocker spaniels and my very first dog as an adult was a rare primative breed called a New Guinea Singing Dog (named Luna Sea). After her, my husband and I got our first dog together from my daycare boss, a chow mix who hated everyone but us. When he was about seven, he went blind and became aggressive due to Lyme's disease that went undiagnosed and we had to have him put to sleep because he was dangerous. He was my baby and I still miss him...hardest decision we ever made. Yes, I'm a serious dog person. My husband would prefer otherwise, but he tolerates it because he knew what he was getting into when he married me. I want a smaller breed (Shiba Inu) but hubby only likes big dogs. He wants a Tibetan Mastiff or a Newfoundland, but I'm not so fond of drool and taking care of long fur. He never cared for short haired dogs until I finally got the great dane I had been wanting all my life. He didn't get the appeal, but now he worships her (he stole her from me). I think he is a "great dane for life" kind of guy now and loves taking her places to show her off.

I'm sorry you are feeling so scared. The only thing that upsets me about these procedures now is the pain upon waking with a stent. Otherwise, I don't get too worked up over them. I'm so hopeful things go perfectly for you and please update us when you can. I will be thinking about you tomorrow! Positive thoughts!

• Posted

The day that my stone reared its ugly head, I hadn't had a sip of water all day. When I finished the job I was working on, I went inside, got paid, and chatted with my clients for about 1.5 hours. During which, I chugged about 4-5 eight ounce glasses of Iced tea, which I never drink. 2 hours later I am at the ER. It is strange to think that the human body can be so temperamental, considering how efficient it is overall. But I can't help but wonder if downing all the tea in such a short time-frame after sweating all day and drinking no water, might have caused it to jostle loose the stone. It was already there regardless, but something must cause it to move, right? When I lived and worked construction in Montana, the Summers are so hot and dry there(up to100 F and 20% humidity), I couldn't drink enough water during the day. A gallon at least plus another 1-2 gallons to pour on my head throughout the day and I would still be thirsty! Nevertheless, I drank a lot of water there. Now on the Oregon coast, the temps are so much more comfortable throughout the year that I just don't think about drinking water as much as I should. Plus, since I own/operate a business, I get tunnel vision because I want to get stuff done, so I rarely even stop to take lunch or anything. I've had plenty of days over the years where I didn't even urinate during the day or maybe only once because I just sweat all day. That can't be good.

Well, I hope this is your only stone ever Barb. I do know a guy that had one when he was around 55. That was 10 years ago and he hasn't had another one since. I wanted to point something out about my stone. I had a kidney infection when I was about 4-5 years old that was never explained to my Mom as far as the cause. When my 4mm stone got stuck at the junction to the bladder, my Urologist said he thought it happened due to some scar tissue around the area. I'd have to check his notes, but I think he cut some of that away as well. Anyway, when I was aged 12-14, every few months I would get this horrible pain in my right side that would last for hours and hours and would culminate with me throwing up violently, then "poof" everything would return to normal. The last time it happened (age 14), I wound up in the hospital for 3 days. Never officially diagnosed it, but seemed to suspect Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which I never really believed. Thinking back on all this, I wonder if it's all related.

With my stent, I experienced little to no pain during urination. Occasionally, I would lay funny and would feel a little pain from the stent itself in my back or in my bladder. I was forced to sleep completely flat on my back for that week, which is very unnatural for me. I always sleep on my side or stomach. But laying flat like that made it so I didn't move much. I laid awake a lot though, watching Netflix.

When I arrived for my operation, I asked the doctor if he would for sure have to place a stent, because during my initial appointment with him, he said sometimes he doesn't. Well, he promised he would try not to have to place one, but since the ureter was already traumatized from the stone being stuck, he did. Looking back, I realize that leaving it for a week was really not necessary. Afterward, I read online that many people have it for 2-4 days. If I had known, I would've pulled that thing out myself after a couple of days. At least you can recover at home with the stent. It would make it even worse if you had to sit in the hospital. One tip that the nurses gave me was to always lay on your back when removing the stent. For some reason, doing it while standing makes it hurt more. I assume the same would be true for women???

I believe this will pan out for you Barb! I know it is scary, but you are going to feel so much better soon!

It sounds like we all pretty much need the same thing....more WATER! cheesygrin

My wife and I went to a garage sale this Summer and almost brought home a chihuahua. She was the tiniest one I had ever seen, even for a pup. She was half the size of her siblings, and her name was Smidgen. My wife and her bonded instantly( my wife is tiny too). I grew up with dogs as my mother has been a dog obedience instructor for decades. I like labs and most hounds. Also german shepherds! A beagle would be nice. I want a dogrolleyes He/she could pal around with me in my work van. Take care all.

• Posted

Hopefully, my kidney stone nightmare is almost over. I had the 2nd surgery yesterday, and the doctor removed the stent that had been in there, and then used a laser and broke the stone up into a lot of little pieces, that he said I will pass. He then put another stent in, and gave me an appointment for next Thursday, to have it removed in his office. I'm passing a lot of blood when I urinate, but I think I did that last time also, for the first few days. The awful pain in my lower back, that I had for 3 to 4 days after the first surgery, isn't as bad this time. At least it hasn't been, so far. I've only had to take 3 Tylenol with Codeine tablets since surgery. And another thing that is different about surgery this time has to do with urinating. Last time, for the first 2 or 3 days after surgery, the pain/burning, was enough to make me scream every time I had to urinate, but this time, no pain at all. Very strange!

Hope you and your family enjoy the Holidays, and thank you for your kind words. Knowing you and other people in this group whom I never even met, were wishing me well, really made me feel good.   

• Posted

Barb, I'm so happy to hear the doc was able to break up the stone. It should be smooth sailing from this point forward. Most of the pieces came out after my stent was removed, so I guess it depends on how small they are. And yay, a set date to get the stent out. You will be back to normal soon!

• Posted

Hi Barb, I am glad your operation went well! I passed a lot of blood too for about 2 days after having the operation and the stent placed. Then the blood eased up little by little after that. By day 4-5 with the stent, there was not much blood during urination. After the stent was removed on day 7, it only took 24-36 hours to get back to normal. Take care!

Derek

• Posted

Hi Luna Sea, When I got back to the Short Procedure Unit, from the Recover Room, the doctor had already talked to my daughter, and when she told me he was able to break the stone up, and that I no longer had a stone, I thought she was kidding. I still don't like the doctor, but I'm really happy he got the stone out. Now, I just have to make sure I don't get another one. I read that Lemon Juice keeps you from getting kidney stones, so I've been drinking 2 tbsp. of Lemon Juice a day. It's really bitter, but I'm getting used to the taste, and if it works, that's all that matters. Take care.  

• Posted

Hi Derek, Oh yes, I'm very glad that the operation is over, and that it turned out okay. I can't wait to get the stent out. I've had a stent in for so long - the first one and now this one, I don't think I'm going to know what to do without one. LOL  Take care.

Barb

• Posted

If it's any help I feel for you!

I have recently had kidney stones removed by PCNL (keyhole surgery) I had a catheter in for a few days and a stent for a week. I cannot imagine what a stent for 7 weeks must be like.

Every time they tried clamping off the stent to see if I could manage without it the answer was no and they had to unclamp it. Eventually after a week they did a scan said everything was OK took it out and said i could come home. I have had a lot of blood in my urine with these kidney stones and also several Urinary Tract Infections. Hopefully all this is now behind me.

Praying for you.

Take care and keep in touch

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Good to hear you had your operation Sarah. I hope you are done with this stuff now! Take care!

Derek

• Posted

Hi Sarah, I'm really glad your surgery went well, and that it is all behind you. I can't imagine what it would be like to go around with a catheter. You could see your catheter, but at least I can't see my stent. I really can't handle much when it comes to myself. And in a sense, that's kind of funny, because I used to do volunteer work on an ambulance, and I loved it. I was really good at it, and it was the most enjoyable and rewarding thing I've ever done. We used to go to accident cases, etc., and nothing bothered me. I can take care of other people, but let me get one little cut on my finger, and I start crying like a baby.

Thank you for your Prayers. They really did help me get through this. 

Barb    

• Posted

Someone told me about Robinsons Lemon Barley Water for kidney stones.

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.