Has anyone every heard of a Fractured Greater Trochanter Bone?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had never heard of it before.  I was having a second Hip replacement, it went OK and  weeks into the recovery I was doing an NHS exercise and heard a loud crack.  The leg that had been operated on gave way so I was taken into hospital. The next day they X Rayed it.....You have fractured your greater trochanter bone I was told.....nothing we can do about it, it will heal itself but will take a long long time.

Since that I've discovered I've got osteoporosis which is why if fractured so easily. {As well as Osteo Arthritis and scoliosis ...C shape curve in my spine}

If anyone has ever heard of it please tell me or where I can get some information.  I have seen the consultant and dont see him for another 6 months.

I just wonder what the prognosis is. I was told a long long time?????? What is that? 6 months later I'm still on 2 crutches {most of the time} 1 crutch for short distances

Love

Eileen

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

the greater trochanter bone is located at the top of the femur or thigh bone and is often a bone which fractures in elderly patients. This could be from a fall or weakened bone structure.  Osteoporosis could be the link to the fracture.

Richard

• Posted

HiRichard......

.I've discovered where it is since it happened  LOL

A lot of others have never heard of it. ...I'm 68.....After a DEXA scan...yes I have osteporosis.

Its almost 7 months now that I've been on 2 crutches!!!

Thats the frustrating thing.

I have OA, Scolios and osteoporosis but they are chronic, degenerative and will not get any better so I can cope with them and self manage....but this is supposed to be acute and its frustrating when it doesnt seem to get any better. Especially since I am a fairly active person even with OA etc

Love

Eileen

• Posted

these sort of injuries take time to mend so be patient.

richard

• Posted

Morning Richard

I'm afraid that word {Patience} isnt in  my vocabulary  biggrinbiggrin

It just stops me doing so many things I used to do!!!!

Have a good day/or evening...sorry not sure where you are?

Love

Eileen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.