Has anyone experienced a full shoulder replacement recently?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone had a total shoulder replacement recently and can give me tips on how to cope with the operation and post-operation period?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

i am 12 weeks out. do the exercises as instructed on the forms you were sent home with. i am ahead of fellow patients in pt who had same surgery weeks earlier than me.

• Posted

Wanda, Are you still in pain? Is each day better than the one before? Are you glad you had this procedure? I'm also discussing this with my pain management doctors now, about doing this maybe two years from now when I retire (if that's possible) from carpentry. Thank you for your response and input.

• Posted

no pain now! yes it will get better each day. you need to take your pain med and ice, ice ice. i would go to bed with ice. its major surgery and will be painful for about 4 weeks. warm showers also help once your doctor gives okay. i am very happy i had replacement surgery, but you must plan on pain, no driving for 6 weeks, preparing meals, dressing, hygiene. i have a bidet so bathroom visits were no problem for me, but would have used shower to cleanup as you cannot reach behind. recovering from this surgery is a 6 phrase course. surgery and 3 days a week of pt. i strongly suggest you get doctor who only does shoulder/ arm surgery and go to physical therapy office your doctor recommends. trust me i have met fellow patients at pt who just went to orthopedic who performed different surgeries and they are not healing as fast. some had same surgery weeks ahead of me and i am weeks ahead of them in pt and healing.

• Posted

Thank you, Wanda - this is just what I want to know. However, the main reason for having the operation is to get more movement, but I'm told this may not necessarily happen. Getting dressed and undressed is difficult and takes ages, and washing and blow-drying my hair is almost impossible. Please keep me updated with your progress!

• Posted

13th week since surgery i can do all that you mentioned. i have complete movement which is 130 degrees and now in phrase of my pt building strenght. it will all come, but you must do your home exercises at home during the 1st 6 weeks and ice, ice and ice and of course take your pain meds.

• Posted

if you enjoy working or going to the gym ( I was informed I wouldn't be able to do any of that after surgery). Then you need to research the Hemi cap instead of the usual total replacement. You will . also end up going to an orthopedic sports doctor.

• Posted

Is anyone in this group my age, or thereabouts (78 yrs)? I have had a frozen shoulder and arthritis for 21 years and am wondering if I'll get any improved mobility after the operation. Have been told not to expect much more. Is it worth going ahead? As I mentioned before, it's the lack of mobility that bothers me most - not the pain. Anybody with any thoughts on this one? Should I really put myself through all the pain that everyone seems to experience afterwards?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.