Has anyone experienced a post operative infection following a Bunion correction

Posted , 4 users are following.

My right foot was operated on in October 2013 and all went to plan. Left foot was done three weeks ago and bled a lot into the dressing once I came home. After the dressing was checked after two weeks it appeared that the wound was not closed completely. Since then the wound has become infected and I am on antibiotics. Am abit worried about the possibility of a bone infection.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stephanie

i had both feet operated on at the same time but my left foot had an open wound that got infected and I was on antibiotics and used local antibiotic cream as well  it's taken a long time to heal I am now 8 weeks down the road and it has at last closed up and no longer infected but still scabbed, my advice would be just keep returning to your doctors in between the hospital follow ups so that you can monitor how well things are going 

good luck

s

• Posted

I had my right foot done last year with no problems.  Left was done in January and like you the day after surgery I had excessive bleeding and had to have dressings removed.  The wound had been steri stripped with internal stitches and the steri strips had come off leaving the wound open.  The foot then became infected and I had several weeks of antibiotics.  Also had to have k wire removed from toe as toe was infected.  I subsequently had several blood tests done to check the infection and a scan.  I have had a bone infection in this foot before following surgery and it all seemed to flare up again.  Have just been discharged as all is now clear.
  • Posted

Stephanie, I'd be contacting the doctor, don't mess around with an infection even though you are on antibiotics. Some antibiotics kill one lot of germs and not others.
    • Posted

Hi Carol,

I hope Stephanie will excuse me for using her discussion to wish you all the best for tomorrow. I am following several discussions and couldn't find your details elsewhere.

Sally

• Posted

HI Stephanie, I don't know where you live, but if in the UK could you ask your GP to put you under the care of the district nurse team for your area.  I know this service has been cut back a lot but it still exists and a nurse could then come in and look after the wound until it heals.

My mother needed this service for an infection following an op. The GP was very reluctant, and tried to put me off, but I knew the service existed as an elderly friend was using it at the time.     

• Posted

HI Stephanie, I don't know where you live, but if in the UK could you ask your GP to put you under the care of the district nurse team for your area.  I know this service has been cut back a lot but it still exists and a nurse could then come in and look after the wound until it heals.

My mother needed this service for an infection following an op. The GP was very reluctant, and tried to put me off, but I knew the service existed as an elderly friend was using it at the time.     

• Posted

Hi Stephanie,

I hope your foot is better. I have read quite a lot about the bunion surgery now and apparently bone infections are very rare. Hopefully the wound is healing properly.

All the best, Sally

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.