Has anyone experienced Bone Marrow Edema with RA

Posted , 2 users are following.

Over the past few months I have been having a lot of pain in my knee. My x-rays looked fine but the MRI results show bone marrow edema. My orthopaedic doctor gave the results of the MRI, but wasn't willing to talk optiosn over the phone. He said he would like to go over the MRI together and talk then which makes me nervous. His original thought was that I torn some cartilage in my right knee but he says there is no tear, it's arthritis related.

Has anyone experienced this?

Any response would be greatly appreciated

Lorraine

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

An article in the British Rheumatology journal says in the Abstract:

"MRI scanning in patients with rheumatological conditions often shows bone marrow oedema, which can be secondary to inflammatory, degenerative, infective or malignant conditions but can also be primary. The latter condition is of uncertain aetiology [cause] and it is also uncertain whether it represents a stage in the progression to osteonecrosis in some patients. Patients with primary bone marrow oedema usually have lower limb pain, commonly the hip, knee, ankle or feet. The diagnosis is one of exclusion with the presence of typical MRI findings. Treatment is usually conservative and includes analgesics and staying off the affected limb. The natural history is that of gradual resolution of symptoms over a number of months. Evidence for medical treatment is limited, but open-label studies suggest bisphosphonates may help in the resolution of pain and improve radiological findings. Surgical decompression is usually used as a last resort."

I think he wants to show you what there is and what he is suggesting is the best path. No point worrying until there is something to worry about!

• Posted

Thanks Eileen

I have been off my leg for a month prior to the MRI and it hasn't gotten any better at all. I guess I am afraid of what he may tell me.

I will just sit tight until my appointment.

Thanks for the support and information.

Lorraine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.