Has anyone experienced burning while on metronidazole

Posted , 5 users are following.

It seems like my BV came back because of the discharge and burning. I was prescribed metronidazole gel to take at night for 5 days. I’ve taken it before and experienced zero problems, but this time I’m experiencing extremely painful burning the morning after taking a dose. It also burns when I pee. It almost feels like a UTI but the day I was given the gel I tested negative on a urinalysis for UTI, so I’m thinking it might be a side effect of the gel. The pain lasts around 4-6 hours and then completely goes away for the rest of the day until I wake up the next morning and pee. If it truly were a UTI I don’t think the pain would even go away at all, which is why I think it’s the gel. I have 2 doses left and I’m trying to bear the pain. Has anyone else experienced this is or something similar? 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I was going to write a post about this (I still might) I just took it last week and my inner labia had a pretty decent ache the whole time. Never had that happen before and this was my 4th time on it!!
  • Posted

METRONIDAZOLE gel or pills can produce a high sensitivity which makes you itch and burn.  If you get this burning, cease the METRONIDAZOLE....you are probably allergic to it.  This allergy can also produce SHINGLES and you truly don't want no part of this experience.  If your GYN prescribed, let her/him know immediately!!

Either way, you need to get to a doctor so they can culture in order to know what you are dealing with.  Bacteria, Viral, etc. all produce certain symptoms and require the right medication for relief.

• Posted

I would give yourself a break. Maybe try the oral. I don’t have much luck with the gel. 
    • Posted

I didn't have any luck on the pills. Also, my doctor wants to put me on the gel 2xs a week for 3-6 months which she says can break the biofilm to rid bv permanently.... don't know if I believe that

• Posted

I was on Metrogel everyday for a little over 6 months 😞 I couldn’t do it 2 times a week because the next day it was back! The gel does work for some people though and I always have some in my purse. I decided to try Clindamycin oral since I had tried pretty much everything else. That new one Solosec I have 0 luck with. Maybe try a good probiotic with that gel. I didn’t start taking them until recently that might of helped me back that. I wouldn’t rely on the antibiotics alone. Drink cranberry, up your vitamins, try to drink a lot of work. Help the good bacteria gain control. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.