Has anyone experienced gastritis as a side effect of an SSRI (antidepressant)?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had been on Escitalopram for 5 years when I developed intermittent nausea. After switching to Sertraline, I developed a very sore stomach and the nausea became constant and severe. A gastroscopy diagnosed stomach-wide, non-erosive gastritis (H.Pylori-negative). This has not improved in 6 weeks of taking a PPI and an H2 blocker but I have been continuing to take Sertraline.

I cannot find any articles about an increased risk of Gastritis from Sertraline (although there is some link with gastric bleeding), but it is listed as a rare side effect. Escitalopram has it listed as an uncommon side effect.

I wondered if anyone had found a correlation

between the taking of an SSRI and gastritis?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Come of Sertraline. Since it irritated your stomach to start with, it will continue to upset your gut if you continue taking it.This could be why you are getting no improvement with taking a PPI and H2 blockers.

• Posted

To be honest, I would stop the antidepressant since it is upsetting your stomach. It doesn't matter what your doctor thinks; it is how you feel that is most important. These medications can give you a poor quality of life. The other medication you are taking to help the nausea, will also cause side effects. Doctors want you on these medications because it earns them and the drug companies money. I have periods of anxiety but i would rather put up with it than take toxic medications. There are far better natural methods to control anxiety such as relaxation therapy, light exercise and hobbies to distract your mind. I would consider these natural solutions . My doctor tried everything to get me on antidepressants for neuralgia but I firmly refused them.

• Posted

you are lucky you can live a normal life without anti deps. i am not at all well and need something but theyve tried so many h e is insistent i stay on this. damned if i do, damned if i dont. my anxiety is very high coupled with agitation. ive been through over 20 cbt, massage, homeopathy,acupuncture. spent a fortune and worse now.

• Posted

I would speak to your doctor about trying something different for your anxiety. Emphasize the extent of your nausea and say you would rather come off it. Sometimes anti depressants can actually cause anxiety. You don't need to take a medication that is making you worse. There are always alternatives; there may well be something that suits you better. Doctors always insist on keeping you on a medication even if it isn't agreeing with you.

• Posted

hello,i know this was posted quite some time ago, but i wanted to see if getting off a SSRI helped your stomach heal and feel better at all? i currently have horrible heart burn sensation in my stomach and have been taking zoloft everyday for like 5 years so dont know if that could be the cause.i got endoscopy done and saw inflammtion in stomach in biopsies.

• Posted

Hi Thomas,

Has Gastritis improved for you? I am also started sertraline and developed severe gastritis and been to ER twice. i just stoped it recently and wondering what other Medication I should try to avoid this?

Are you still on Sertraline?

• Posted

Hello, did stopping sertraline or reducing at 25 mg change anything ?… I have the same issues with sertraline (50mg).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.